Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outside Temp of the Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking seriously about buying an Egg and I wondered - does the hot inner temperature transfers to the outside of the ceramic shell? I currently use a webber grill, but the outside of the grill gets so hot that I'm afraid my kids or pets will get hurt one of these days. Also, the temperature in the webber is really effected by wind and other weather elements that it is hard to maintain a constant temp inside. I imagine with this thick ceramic shell, the inner temp won't be effected by wind that kicks up, or a short afternoon thunderstorm - would this be a safe assumption?[p]Thanks for any info any of you can provide,[p]Brother Rub

Comments

• Redpig
    Redpig Posts: 35
    Brother Rub,
    I just bought my 1st BGE a few weeks ago. I have used Weber and a host of other grills/smokers over the years. Do yourself a favor...go buy a BGE! There is not a better smoker made in my opinion. It's easy to use, very tolerant, cleans easily, and best of all, makes the tastiest and juiciest ribs, bbq, etc. that you will find anywhere - including the 'local' bbq joints. It holds heat extremely well because of it's ceramics, seal and damper setup. Oh, it's fun to use and if you ever have a question/problem, the guys & gals on this forum will gladly share their knowledge and experience with you.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Brother Rub,
    I have a number of eggs & yes the wind will effect your cooking, but only if it blows dirctly into the lower vent. Other than that, you can cookin -20deg if thats what you want. The outside shell will get hot & could give you a small burn, but this will happen on the lower half of the egg & usually only when the unit has been brought to high temps for a long time. For sure it not get as hot as i metal unit, but caution should still be used. I have not read of a small child getting hurt ( thank god ) from the egg, but at the first Eggfest, someone's wife hit her leg on a large & for a while she had a large red welt, but still went on to party .[p]So buy one, it's not a mistake.[p]Earl

• Brother Rub,I know the heat that you are talking about that comes from metal grills and smokers. If you touch it for one second you will be burned. You are also losing heat, consuming more fuel in order to keep up internal temp, and losing valuable moisture as all of this escapes out of the thin metal sides and top. The egg is one inch thick ceramic, that is incredibly effecient, has very little heat loss, and holds the moisture within within. I can put my handds on the dome and use it for a handwarmer at most any temp. I have touched the dome many times in amazement at the hot internal temp and how cool the ouside is. The part that would possibly burn someone is righr around the firebox area, it does get quite hot, although it is not a problem to me because I have the egg enclosed in a table, and it would be hard to accidentally touch this part of him.I also have children and pets and feel perfectly safe when they are close by. If you are already using a metal grill ar smoker , the egg will be trmendously safer around loved ones.

• Brother Rub,[p]I have never seen/had a safer or better cooker of any kind. Go for the "Egg", it is a thing of love...nde

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Brother Rub,
    Save the children! Buy the Egg!