Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Slow Roasting Eye of Round and Pork Tenderloin

ViennaJackViennaJack Posts: 357
edited 8:24AM in EggHead Forum
IMG_1659.jpg

Tonight I'm slow-roasting an eye of round roast seasoned with homemade adobo rub and some pork tenderloins seasoned with some homemade peach rub. Everything is on and cooking direct with a dome temperature of about 225 degrees using hickory chips for flavor. I'm going to pull the tenderloins when they hit 145 degrees and the eye of round when it reaches 115 degrees. I'll have more pics later when everything is finished.

The adobo rub is a combination of the best of several recipes for homemade adobo seasoning that I found on the web with some additional customization by me. The homemade peach rub is pretty simple. My wife and I have been fans of JH Summer Peach Rub for a long time and always wondered how I can get some peach flavor into my own rubs (peach dust???). I caught a Bobby Flay show recently that featured Adam Perry Lang adding peach jello powder to some ribs and decided to give it a shot myself. I simply made a normal batch of Dr. BBQ Big Time Rub from the Big Time BBQ cookbook, with a box (or two? I can't remember) of Jello Brand Peach Jello mixed in with everything else, enough jello powder anyway to give the rub a nice peachy flavor. We've used it on ribs and chicken and we both love it.

Enjoy,

Comments

• GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,255
    Interesting, I've used peach and apricot jelly, but not jello. Does a little go a long way?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Gunnar wrote:
    Interesting, I've used peach and apricot jelly, but not jello. Does a little go a long way?

I'm not sure I would say that a little goes a long way. I had to put a whole regular size box into about 10 oz of Big Time rub to get a decent level of peachiness but that did put the perfect amount of peach flavor into the rub for me and my wife. Adam Perry Lang was sprinkling it right on the ribs in his segment on Bobby Flay, just like it was more rub. I'd say if you make your own rub and you normally get about 10 oz yield, try adding the contents of one regular box a little at a time until the rub gets a noticeable peach flavor. Obviously it will be a matter of personal taste.

Here's some pics of the finished product. I was very pleased with the slow roasting results direct at 250 degrees turning every 15 minutes or so. Next time I will try to slow things down even more, direct at about 200 degrees.

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Beautiful, Jack! I did some eye of round this evening, too, and will have the pics up shortly. I'm so glad that it's cooling off a bit--I definitely smoke more food when it's colder outside.

Interesting read about the Jello...
  • Beanie-Bean wrote:
    Beautiful, Jack! I did some eye of round this evening, too, and will have the pics up shortly. I'm so glad that it's cooling off a bit--I definitely smoke more food when it's colder outside.

Interesting read about the Jello...

Thanks Mike. I agree, this is a great season for outdoor cooking!