Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey on the Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any fresh ideas on cooking a wild turkey hen on the egg? It is ready for tonight. how long and what temp?? It is about a 8-10 lb bird. Thanks

Comments

• turkey man,
    Wild turkeys are quite lean brining or injecting is called for. Use higher rather lower pit temps (long slow cooks will give you a dry bird). 350º till you hit 175º in thigh.
    The whole cook should not last longer than 3 hours more than likely less.
    Should be a very tasty bird compared to farm raised.
    Good luck.
    Jim

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    turkey man,
    Everything Jim says is correct. We did one last month: brined, cooked at 365, apple smoke. It got as tender as I think it could, but, in contrast to Jim, I prefer the farm raised turkey.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Marvin,
    What is it that makes you prefer one to the other??? I only get the butterball type so don't know what a wild one would taste like. Just curious.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    There is a different flavor because of diet and because they are so lean.
    If everyone liked the same stuff just think of the variety
    we would NOT have.
    Jim

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Jim:[p]Regarding wild turkeys, if you are going for 175º in the thigh, what will the breast typically read? How are you cooking the bird? Direct or indirect?[p]I guess what I am really asking is will you have good results with a lean bird (wild turkey) if you cook it in a manner that will allow the breast and thigh to be approximately 160º to 165º at the same time?
    [/b]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Jim Minion,
    I agree with you, I just have not been able to taste the other side of the menu so can't compare. Your opinion is always respected.
    New Bob

• djm5x9,
    The rules on poultry apply for wild as they do for farm raised, brinning should help protect the breast. I would set up indirect and go with a short cook.
    Jim

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Jim Minion,
    That, of course, is correct. In fact, there are several farms - one in your State, I believe, Jim - that is raising older, "heritage" varieties of turkeys simply because they tast different, can still fly - a little, more dark meat, less breast, etc. It's what makes the world go round - thank G-d!