Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Cookoff

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my coworkers and I have decided to do a chili cookoff, coupled with entertaining some of our customers. Because they all know that I enjoy cooking so much, their expectation is that I'm going to be the ringer with the best chili. Only problem is, I haven't made chili in over 10 years, and even then, I wouldn't have called it 1st class.

Does anyone have any recipes you'd be willing to share for me to take a look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

fc

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    There are a few here. KennyG and Egret come to mind.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cookbooks.htm

Here is one of my favorites. Would include a pic but photobucket is in a maintenance mode.

Chili, Pork, BGE Red Neck, Richard Fl

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    6 Lbs Pork, Country Rins, Bone in
    1 Cup Green/Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    2 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    4 14 1/2 Ozs Tomatoes, Crushed
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Stewed Tomatoes
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 6 cups of meat.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/25
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Frank

For these office type chili cookoffs, I keep it simple. I goto Sam's and buy a 5# tub of Keeblers Chili Bowl Chili, add 1 can Rotel tomatoes, and dice an onion. Combine that all together in a crock pot, take it to work and plug it in. By lunch time it is ready, tastes really good, and not too much work. Just my .02 worth.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Ping Sundance and see if he will send you his recipe for "Real Chili" (no beans, no tomatoes: just meat and spices). He was kind enough to send it to me, and I can tell you you it kicks arse!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    That's it. You have mail from Sundown with a recipe for manly chili.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sounds great, will you share it with the forum? TIA
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Sundown, Thanks for the email, I really appreciated it! Just an fyi for you, I tried to respond to your email, but it got kicked back to me. I thought you'd want to know.

fc
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    For some reason, every time I hit reply to an email that was sent to me thru the forum, the sender doesn't get a copy and one gets bounced to me. I think the address that comes from the forum sender automatically adds eggheadforum.com into the address and also includes my email domain to their name. Weird. Probably the best thing to do is include your real email address in the body of any email you send someone from within the forum (unless you don't want them to see it).
  • secret lost recipe for Sundown's Manly Chili:

1.) Buy a can of chili. Any can of chili.
    2.) Open the can of chili.
    3.) Pour the can of chili into a dutch oven. Stir.
    4.) Heat the can of chili in the egg until tepid and the hardened fat has just melted. Stir again.
    5.) Serve with great fanfare as though it was a secret recipe.

:whistle:

(where were you for lunch?)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    You North Shore guys crack me up! :laugh:

You wouldn't know good chili from bad. Not, at least, until you and MaineEgg taste a bowl of my 'red' :evil:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Unacceptably Social wrote:
    secret lost recipe for Sundown's Manly Chili:

1.) Buy a can of chili. Any can of chili.
    2.) Open the can of chili.
    3.) Pour the can of chili into a dutch oven. Stir.
    4.) Heat the can of chili in the egg until tepid and the hardened fat has just melted. Stir again.
    5.) Serve with great fanfare as though it was a secret recipe.

:whistle:

(where were you for lunch?)
    LOL I believe it! :lol: I really truly do! :P
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am still waiting! LOL guess I will have to be first in line in NH Next year! Now I know to listen for that tell tale pop noise! I will be just like my cat running for a can of friskies when she hears me pop it open! MEOW :evil:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    talkin trash about the north shore, eh? down "south" is where the real chili is from? he heh heh.

you goof.

howuzza fishin?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante