Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas to keep Pork BBQ warm for extended time?

Redpig
Redpig Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for about 2 weeks now. I have done ribs and spatchcock chicken. All have turned out beyond my wildest expectations. I served some ribs to my fellow coworkers last week and they have been bugging me to bring them some 'authentic' Carolina BBQ. I've done low 'n slow burns on my homemade smoker with excellent results. Of course, with the BGE, it will be alot easier because I won't have to continually babysit, as in the past. My question is about transporting the BBQ. I plan on finishing the BBQ Sunday night. I will take it to work on Monday evening. Realizing that I will have to refrigerate the BBQ, what is the best method of storing it and reheating? Will plastic containers suffice? Microwave? Any help/ideas on this is appreciated. Also looking for a good cole slaw recipe.

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    RedPig,[p]You're gonna love pulled pork on the BGE...! I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but if you aren't going to take it to work until a day after it comes off the cooker, it's gonna have to go in the fridge and then be reheated. I have a foodsaver, so when mine is done and pulled, I put servings into my foodsaver bags and throw them in the freezer. Then, anytime I want pulled pork I just pull one out and throw it in boiling water in the bag and in 10 minutes or so, it's ready to eat. But, if you don't have a foodsaver yet (put it on your Christmas list...you won't be sorry), you'll just have to warm it up on the stove, in the oven or use a microwave to reheat. Personally, I really don't think the microwave does a good job, but that's just my opinion. [p]Maybe others have had your problem and will chime in here if they have other suggestions. If you get a good cole slaw recipe, I'm interested too. My grandmother used to make fantastic cole slaw, and I haven't found a recipe yet that can beat hers. Unfortunately, I didn't get her recipe before she died, so I am out of luck...[p]It's 35° here in N. Central Florida and I have two 7lb butts smoking away...mmmmmmmmm, cherry wood smoke smells are just wafting around the neighborhood...gonna drive everybody crazy all day long.[p]Mornin' irish coffee's to ya,
    QBabe
    :~)

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    RedPig, QBabe is right on target about the Food Saver. But if you can't buy a Food Server before the the luncheon, I have used a crock pot and a rice steamer with great results. The crock pot set on a low temp will do an exceptional job and will hold about 6-7 lbs of Q. Just don't leave it in the crock so long that the Q begins to cook.[p]
  • QBabe,
    Where in N Central Florida. I'm in Crystal River, Florida. It was extremely cold here last night. It went all the way down to 39 degrees. Did not even have to check the BGE on the all night cook Temp held steady. Lunch is in 2 hours and all is well. Just wish I had a digital camera to share the pics of my Pulled Pork.

• RedPig,[p]Not knowing which style of coleslaw you like or are accustomed to I will throw my favorite out.[p]Shred/grate cabbage,carrots and whatever vegatable you like in the slaw.
    Dressing:[p]This a very creamy dressing.[p]1 cup of half-and-half
    1/2 cup of sugar
    6 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 teaspoon salt or to taste
    Mix in pint jar, shake well and refrigerate.[p]I prefer not to mix the slaw and dressing until serving and let each person dress the slaw as he/she perfers from a side dish.
    Enjoy.nde

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    RedPig,[p]I will echo the plusses of having a food saver. It definately should go on your shopping list. The link is for a cole slaw that we like and it goes well right on your pulled pork sandwich. [p]Chuck <><

[ul][li]Cole slaw[/ul]
  • Redpig
    QBabe,
    Thanks for your help. I've heard alot about Foodsavers. I'll look into that option. I have a recipe for coleslaw. I found it on the internet awhile back but haven't tried it yet. Apparently, it's from a BBQ joint in Memphis called Corky's. The guy I got it from says it's the best he's ever tasted. I'm going to try it. If you do, let me know what you think. Here it is:
    CORKY'S COLESLAW
    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method[p]1 Medium Head Green Cabbage Shredded
    2 Medium Carrots Grated
    1 Medium Green Pepper Finely diced
    2 Tablespoons Onion Grated
    2 Cups Mayonnaise
    3/4 Cup Sugar
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Celery Seeds
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1/8 Teaspoon White Pepper[p]Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

• Redpig
    Strmn2smoke,
    Thanks for the recipe. I've posted one that you may want to try.

• QBabe
    Banker John,[p]Gainesville, home of the Florida Gators![p]
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    QBabe, Florida Gators? Who's that? OUCH, I'm just kidding, ya.

• QBabe
    Zeke,[p]Yep, they didn't do so well this season, did they? But whether they win or lose, Gator fans still fill that stadium to capacity and have a GREAT time in the process. We're not "serious" fans (i.e., don't have season tickets or do the tailgate thing), but you can't help but get caught up in the festvities![p]QBabe
    :~)