Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing replacement SS draft door

Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed a new SS Draft door. The new door has an air gap between egg and door. When removing the old rusted door, I noticed a sealant. What type of sealant should I use to seal the new SS draft door. Would plain old Silicon work, or is there a sealant made for the higher heat temps?

Comments

• Gordo
    Gordo Posts: 23
    Banker John,
    Any auto parts store should have higher heat silicone that could be used without issue.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    vent4-1.jpg
    <p />Banker John,[p]The intsall does need something behind the vent to fill air gaps. Using regular silicone could/would work since it can handle pretty high temps anyway, but Gordo is right and high temp silicone would be better. In the picture you see me adding a red high temp silicone - I had it around the house, so I used it, but try to find the black color since it won't show as much. I added a little ash to this to tone down the bright color after the vent was attached.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]SS Vent Install Process[/ul]