Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Leg Question

FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
edited 8:11PM in EggHead Forum
What temp would you pull. Started these 4 at 5:30 with 250 dome temp (indirect). Done a few whole's and breasts but first shot at just legs.

4 Legs at 250 dome going on.

101_2384.jpg

101_2383.jpg

After 1 hour upped the temp to 300 (probably should have started there) here they are at the 3 hour mark. My target temp was 180 and they are at 160 here with crispy skin.

101_2386-1.jpg

What temp would you pull them??
·

Comments

• freggfregg Posts: 58
    FlaPoolman, this is so sad.Up here in the great white north our birds only have 2 legs and the rest of the body attached!!!!
    Just kidding, those look great.
    Fregg
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    I have an in with John Madden. The next one will have 6 legs. :laugh: :woohoo:
    ·
    OK they hit 180/190 and thats the perfect temp.

101_2388.jpg

101_2389.jpg

Life is good when the beer's cold and the turkey's cooked.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Glad to know that Pat as I would have pulled'em at around 160. Do not like turkey EXCEPT legs. Will have to remember this. Look real moist! ;)
    ·
    Thanks JL. They were great and skin was crispy.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    What did you shake on'em. I see some rub on the platesetter.
    ·
    DP's Swamp venom and a fresh ground pepper rub. let them dry in the fridge for a couple hours and think that helped with the really crisp skin.
    ·
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    Poolman:

Did you use any smoking woods? I love those huge hickory smoked legs at the races. I'll be eating one next week in Charlotte.
    ·
    There were a few leftover pieces of hickory from the last cook but didn't add any extra.
    ·