Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USING THE BGE IN FREEZING TEMP?

NIGHTBREED
NIGHTBREED Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just want to make sure that i can use the BGE in the freezing cold.
Don't want my baby to crack.[p]Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because i want to use it tonight for some steaks...god i'm hungry now...[p]Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    NIGHTBREED,
    Cook away. A tad nippy here today too!
    Enjoy the steaks. Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ice-egg.jpg
    <p />NIGHTBREED,[p]Yes you can. It's 46° and 17-25 kt winds![p]Tim
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    NIGHTBREED,
    It was 20 deg when we roasted our turkey this year - no problems. If you bring everything up to temp at the same time, no cracking. We cook all winter long; brushing the snow away - today, it's a foot - is sometimes a pain. But the food from the egg is worth it. Have fun.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    NIGHTBREED,
    Two problems with cold-weather cooking: it's harder to admire the Egg while you're shivering, and, beer turns to slush.
    Seriously, like the folks below, I cook year-round out here in Colorado.
    Look close at TimM's picture - if I'm not mistaken the dome is frozen shut (see the icicles?) and he's heating it with a starter cube placed below the grate.
    Ken

• NIGHTBREED,
    Your steaks will be fine - cook away. [p]The only time you'd notice a meaningful difference would be during an extended slow cook when you'd probably need to add rather more lump than normal to compensate for the increased thermal loss. Even with the egg's excellent insulation properties, you are going to use more fuel to maintain dome temp when the ambient temp is in the low 20s than would be the case if in were in, say, the 40s or 50s. This is especially marked during lengthy cooking sessions in cold AND windy conditions.[p]I bet we'd save fuel by building a fiberglass-filled cold weather dome blanket to cover the egg lid. I imagine something shaped like a large half-spherical orange peel with a hole in the center for the vent. :-)

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Fairalbion,[p]Regarding that dome blanket. Call me lucky..but I've been able to use one of mommas old hats. It's a perfect fit for my medium egg. Sometimes it pays to have a momma with a giant head. :)[p]StumpBaby

• Berky
    Berky Posts: 21
    NIGHTBREED,
    I live in Northern Ontario and I egg 12 months a year. I just did a turkey yesterday and it was -18 celcius which is about 10 degrees in the US. No problems!
    One of the tricks I learned is to slide a piece of wax paper under the lid so it doesn't freeze shut.
    Have Fun,
    Kevin Berkenbosch

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    berky,
    Where about's in the north? Just got back from Kirkland Lake moose hunting not to long ago.[p]Earl

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    coldegg.jpg
    <p />NIGHTBREED,[p]Cooking in the cold is rather enjoyable. I am always impressed the way the egg hold temp thru the night no matter what the weather conditions.[p]Carl T

• Berky
    Berky Posts: 21
    Earl,
    Hey Earl,
    I am in Sudbury. I was in Kirkland Lake myself back in August for a little golf tournament. Nice country over there.
    Did you get a moose?
    Kevin Berkenbosch

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Berky,
    Don't know about moose, but Earl manages to dish up a lot of bull each year! LOL
    I'm in the balmy armpit of Ontario, down in London, and am able to get together with Earl and several other Ontario bbq'ers on a semi-regular basis! Let us know when you get down to our neck of the woods......
    Qfan

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Berky,
    Good Morning:[p] We got some unbelievable video of a bull moose walking right under our tree stand. We didn't have a tag so we just watch it move around. Keeping with the form rules, i took 2 large eggs & cooked up a batch of ribs, fish & other great stuff. Like Mike mentioned, if you plan on a trip to Toronto, give us an e-mail first & we can get together for a bit. By the way, Mike mentioned London was the armpit of Canada, i would go a little lower on the anatomy to discribe it.Haa Haa[p]Earl