Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey only OK - Why?

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My TG turkey turned out ok, but not great. The temperature was fine - 162* breast, 180* leg/thigh, but even with all the pecan wood I put in for smoke, I did not get the smoke flavor that I like in the turkey. Was this because of all the skin on the bird, or did I do something wrong? My setup was inverted plate setter, turkey in V-rack, breast side down, V-rack setting in a drip pan. The drippings from the turkey smelled and tasted great (ie. nice and smokey), but the meat from the bird was not much different from one in the oven. I may try spatchcocking one next time around - I always get a nice smokey flavor in the chickens I do that way.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]What temp did you cook it at? I assume it was high - 325-350. If you want that smokey taste, then go low for the first hr or two. Then up the temp to brown the skin. Foul absorbs smoke easily but cooking at 250° doesn't brown the skin very well unless for go for a long 4-5 hr cook, but that dries it out. [p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Steve-O:[p]I smoked a turkey with pecan this year and had just enough smoke taste. The first thirty minutes the bird was "smoked" at 200º dome to allow the smoke to be absorbed. Then the temperature was raised for the remainder of the cook. Another thing is that I cooked my bird direct. Cooking indirect could require you to use a little more wood.