Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An idea for a survey while it's still fresh

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read that I'm not the only one today to experience Turbo Bird whereby Mr Turkey had been brined and cooked way way faster than the normal rule of thumb of 15 minutes per pound at 325° dome. What say we all post our results while they are still fresh in our minds? So I'll start...
Bird was 21.5#
Brined for 36 hours
dome temp averaged 295 though I worked on 325 it stayed down
Reached 163 breast per confirmed readings in 4 hours flat.
Translated that meant 11.2 minutes per pound
Results - moist, cooked and tasted great!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fairalbion
    Options
    RRP,
    Bird was 18.5lb
    Brined for 10 hours
    dome temp averaged 325 (but very high for first 30 mins)
    Reached 165 breast in 4 hours flat (thigh temp was higher).
    Translates to appx 14 min/lb
    Results - moist, cooked and excellent taste.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    RRP,
    I Brined for 24 hours but did it "butterflied", 13 pounds for 3 hours - 13.8 minutes per, but I probably could have taken it off sooner. Wasn't dry at all but the meat was FALLING off the legs. I think it could have come off after 2.5 hours, cooked at 325 +/-

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    RRP,
    22 pound bird; injected not brined.
    Temp of 325-350.
    Cook time of 3 hours 40 minutes or right at 10 minutes per pound.[p]That's the time estimate I tell others, yet dummy me, when I figured my time for some reason I figured longer, thus my turkey was done well before time for lunch. Still turned out very moist and juicy, thanks to The Egg!

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    RRP,
    Bird was 16.0#
    Brined for 16 hours. Oiled and peppered outside.
    Dome temperature averaged 350° (375° for the first hour, 350° the second hour, and 300° the third)
    Reached 165° breast temperature in exactly 3 hours as projected. (Next time I'll stop at 160°.)
    Translated that means 11.25 minutes per pound
    Results - moist, tasty and lots of praise.[p]Spring Chicken[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    RRP,[p]21#. Brined for 36 hours approx.
    3 hours flat at 350 v-rack over drip pan which translates to damn fast (under 10 min). There was one tiny bit of pink near an inner bone, but otherwise perfect.[p]mShark

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    RRP,
    Morning & a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the U.S.A[p]Except for Good Golly Miss Molly, no one mentioned the set up. With or without defector, drip pan, no drip pan, smoke or not.[p]Thanks
    Earl[p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    RRP,[p]Did a "mini" PDK Bird yesterday. (Refer to the recipe for all of the details) The turkey weighed 10.25 lbs., indirect setup with a dome temp that ranged between 340°F to 360°F throughout the cook. It took 2 hours 45 minutes for the one breast to reach 160°F. It took the opposite breast 3 hours to reach the magic number. This is a little longer than expected, but not much.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]PDK Bird[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Earl,[p]I try to be concise. Sniff.[p]mShark
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Earl,
    good point! I used an inverted plate sitter and a dip pan about 1/3 full of plain water. Went easy on the smoke with only 1.5 handfuls of apple wood chips plus one large sweet onion in the center of the coals. That onion aroma drives the neighbors nuts and I believe adds to the taste as much as the apple chips.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    RRP,
    Inverted plate setter, drip pan, V-rack. 16 pound turkey at 350 dome took 13 minutes per pound.

• RRP,[p]15lb bird, indirect-roast pan and rack with no "additional mass", 325*, 14min/lb.
  • Additional info:[p]Not brined
    Bird was stuffed
    No wood chips

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    RRP,
    Did a 20-pound turkey at 325 for 4 hr 55 min. Rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon; stuck the lemon rinds and an onion inside the bird. Cooked it on a rack sitting in a throwaway aluminum pan. It was practically falling off the bones, well, the wings anyhow. Best darn turkey we have ever eaten. Will never cook turkey any other way! Also, when the husband removed the turkey, we threw on some homemade link sausage and let it cook for about 25 min......great with the dressing.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Bird was 19.83 pounds
    No brine, rubbed with olive oil and heavily coated with Red Rooster Rub.
    dome temp was 350
    Reached 165 breast in 2 hours 50 minutes.
    Setup was lower grid, drip pan, raised grid, turkey rack.[p]Best traditional style turkey I have cooked. I usually do mine Amish style in the oven, but I think the egg may have won.

• Dakota
    Options
    RRP,[p]I did the "Super Buzzard" recipe on a 20# @ 300*. Took 20 min/#, breast temp stabilized at 167* Addition to recipe was Tony Chachare's Garlic-N-Herb Creole injection. Moist & tasty. Only changes- stablilize no higher than 163* and use whole bottle in marinade.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    11.5 LB bird, brined 24 hr., air dried 24 hr., cooked indirect 3.5 hr. Was cooking at 325° but it got away and went to almost 400° and I was bringing the temp. down the fire went out so I had to re-light, the turkey probe temp. dropped from about 172° to 158° which accounts for the extra cooking time. Came out great but not as moist due to a little over cooking.
    New Bob

• RRP,
    I brine for 10-12 hours for FRESH turkey, and did so for Thanksgiving. Buy birds no larger than 14 pounds, otherwise the outside tends to dry out. I use one cup of Kosher salt, plus 2/3 cup sugar per gallon of water. I diced celery, onions and apples and microwaved them on HIGH for 5 minutes covered, prior to stuffing them in the cavity. I used fresh sage and rosemary in the cavity, plus a stick of butter. I put them on at 500F for 20 minutes and stabilized at 350. I used white wine in the pan below the V-rack . Marvelous results!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    nikkig,
    That works out to about 8 1/2 mins per pound. Were you a little concerned when it cooked so fast?

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Shelby,
    Nope, I checked it with two thermometers in several places, and the juices were running clear. I even split the skin next to one leg and peeked inside, everything was cooked. All of my thermometers have recently been checked for accuracy, so I know I have accurate temps. I have the same results with pulled pork too, we only cook ours for 12-15 hours. I don't see how people are doing 18-20 hours on theirs.
    Hope you had a great turkey day. We will be coming down for Christmas this year. Wish mom would get an egg and let me do the turkey! [p]~nikki