Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese Pork? How to

Options
Jail egger
Jail egger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the many cool recipes I tasted at the Northwest Eggfest was Chinese BBQ'ed pork made with a pork loin. Can anyone tell me how to get the recipe and cook it? You know with the "red stuff".

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this:::

Pork, Loin, Chinese BBQ

Chinese style BBQ pork says it all.

Ingredients:
    1 or more Pork Loins
    2 cup Soy Sauce
    2 Tbs Minced garlic gloves
    1/3 cup Sesame oil (light, if only have dark reduce to 1/4C)
    2 Tbs Minced ginger root
    2 Minced green onions

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix ingredients for marinade.
    2 Marinade pork loin 6hrs or more.
    3 (Foodsaver vac marinading about 1hr equivalent to 6hrs if in a rush:)
    4 hrs plus for chinese BBQ pork like in restaurants.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Quickly sear all sides, then Q over med 250-300°f dome temp to 165°f internal temp. Let rest a few minutes, slice and serve!
    Special Instructions:
    1 Reserve marinade after removing loin(s), simmer and reduce to ½ volume. Strain and use for dipping!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Mike McQ mikemcq@quixnet.net

Source: BGE Forum, Mike McQ, 05/24/07

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jail egger
    Options
    does that really make the red stuff?...no offense in questioning the knowledgable Bente
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I used to make it all the time (25 years ago) and my old Chinese cookbook calls for Chinese Roasting salt, which I am 99% sure was salt + saltpeter.

Most of the recipes I see today call for red food coloring and many don't use anything.

If I really wanted the red color, I would probably use a little curing salt, which has sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    How about this amazing Chinese pork dish.

SG%20Chinatown%20Jerky.JPG
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    to be honest with you that was what i found and i have not made it.... but your question got me to looking to other recepies and most of them seem the like something similar to the one i posted... i look at several pictures on various web sites (i use to find other recepies) and i did not see any that are red.. now i am begining to wonder what the red stuff is on my pork fried rice.. but reading bobs response it made alot of sense.. if you have to have the "red look"....

BTW i am not that knowledgebale don't let me fool you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to get the recipe and cook it? You know with the "red stuff".

You mean like this????

dsc02381aL.jpg

Here is how I did it......

1. Get acquainted with Richard FL
    2. Ask for his favortite recipe
    3. Do some horse trading
    4. Wait for the mailman
    5. Follow his directions
    6. Enjoy
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Welder
    Options
    The red sauce is called Char Siu or Chinese Barbeque sauce. You might find it in an ethnic grocery or your regular store in with the Chinese foods. There are also recipes for it all over the web, but you may not get what you are looking for.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    JE, I was there too, and that cook was very good. I believe he used a tenderloin and said he got the recipe from, http://www.uwajimaya.com/recipes/recipes.asp I asked him about his prep and he said he used red food coloring to get the color. It was very good, he got one of my tickets. Haven't gone to Uwajimaya site, but have been to the store, very impressive.