Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on cooking 9 lb. prime rib tomorrow. Any recipes or advice?

Comments

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Cindy,
    I did one not to long ago. And am doing one with my T-Day Turkey.[p]I just sprinkle with salt 'n pepper, put a couple of cloves of garlic through-out the rib. Sear at 600* on all sides, take out and let the egg drop to 400* put rib back on with drip pan, cook till 145* but make sure when you take meat out you let meat rest for 30 minutes before cutting.[p]Enjoy
    Dublin[p]Awaiting 6 inches of snow tomorrow. Remey Martins and stogies at the ready.

• dublin,
    Thanks for advice. No snow here - sunny So. Florida! Great Grilling year 'round!

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Cindy,[p]Take the meat out ~5 degrees prior to your target - Carry over heat stored in the meat will cause it to continue rising. The higher your cooking temperature the more carry over heat/earlier to take the meat out.[p]tlhrtp
  • Cindy,
    I'm thinking that 145° internal temp. will result in quite a well done roast. My experience has been that removing from the egg at 125° and then resting the meat for 15 min. results in a prime rib with 1/3 (center) red (but hot), 1/3 pink, 1/3(outer edge of roast) dark or well done. To me that is medium rare. Letting the internal go to 130° or 135° will move you close to the well done 2/3, and center 1/3 pink.
    I would like to hear from anyone that has a contrary opinion in order to understand the variations of what is considered rare/med/well.

• shiek,
    I'm thinking I should let it go to 130 and then let it rest. Should I cook it indirect, on a rack @ 300 degrees?

• Cindy, I would cook indirect on a rack at 350°. I don't bother to sear proir to the 350°

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Cindy,[p]I prefer to sear mine then drop the temp to 200º and cook for 30 minutes per pound. This cut of meat is pretty fatty, so a low and slow roasting makes lots of sense.[p]The instructions below are for doing in the oven. Easily adapted to any cooking chamber.[p]I usually sear on my gasser, then over to the WSM to finish.[p]The searing will render out some fat, but primarily it is to carmelize and for appearances.[p]Good Luck![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Standing Rib Roast [p]CHRIS'S HERBED ROAST
    2 tablespoon(s) Basil, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon Black pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Salt
    4 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
    MUSTARD PRIME RIB
    2 tablespoon(s) Black peppercorns
    2 tablespoon(s) Mustard seed
    1/2 cup Mustard, whole grain
    2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS
    Worcestershire sauce or A1 Sauce
    Horseradish
    Yum Yum Steak Seasoning
    HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
    1/2 cup Sour cream
    2 tablespoon(s) Horseradish
    2 teaspoon(s) White pepper
    2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce[p]PREPARATION:
    Chris's Herbed Roast: Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]Mustard Prime Rib: Crush the pepper and mustard seeds. Mix all together into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]Kevi's King of the Roasts: Slather on sauce, then apply horseradish and finally sprinkle with seasoning. Let sit overnight.[p]Cooking instructions for all recipes: Allow roast to come to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 200º. In a large roasting pan, on the stove top over 2 burners, brown the rib roast on all sides. This will take about 8-10 minutes to do. About 1/2 cup of fat should render out during this process. Remove the roast from the pan and place a wire rack in the bottom of the pan. Set the roast on this rack. Place the roast in the oven and cook for 30 minutes per pound...it will take about 3 1/2 hours for a 7 pound roast. Meat temp should be around 125º for rare, 135º for medium rare. When removing from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes. This will allow the temp to go up another 5-10º and will allow the juices to re-distribute. [p]To make your AuJus, add some beef broth or red wine to the foil pan, heat up and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture reduce by 1/2.[p]Horseradish Sauce: Mix all ingredients together and then chill.[p]

• Stogie,
    I think I'll try the herbed. My greatest concern is for the roast to be tender![p]

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Cindy,[p]I just did a 13 pounder last weekend and a 12 pounder the weekend before. I did the herbed recipe also. I have a Medium Egg and set up as follows: inverted plate setter, drip pan, v-rack in the drip pan, prime rib in the rack. Stabalize egg at 350° dome, added cherry chunks for smoke, then the hardware and cooked at 350° +- for about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Took off at 135° internal and let sit for about 15 minutes. Way to done for us. Was medium to medium well, but delicious. Second time, used hickory for smoke, cooked at 300 - 325° dome for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours and took off at internal of 126°. After sitting for about 15 minutes, yielded a perfect medium rare to medium prime rib. Was fabulous! That's what I recommend. Good luck!
  • Gandolf,
    :( What is a plate setter?

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Cindy, Click on picture for larger view. Can be used legs up or down.
    Bob

[ul][li]platesetter[/ul]