Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined turkey test results . . . . Absolutely perfect!!

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a test cook yesterday using a variation of Alton Brown's "Romancing the Bird". I brined a 13 lb. fresh turkey in a 5 gallon container using these ingredients:[p]2 gal. vegetable stock
2 c. kosher salt
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. Old Bay seasoning
2 tbsp. black peppercorns
2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. crushed juniper berries[p]I brined the bird for 24 hours, and then rinsed. I cooked the bird following Brown's instructions. 500 degress for the first 30 minutes, and then 350* for a breast temp of 161*. [p]My wife, who is the biggest critic of food that I've ever met, said she had never tasted a better turkey. Moist, juicy, and flavorful, yet completely done, and not mushy. She commanded me to do this turkey again for the Thanksgiving crowd, and not to change one thing.[p]The aromatics that I put in the cavity were incredible. I sliced up a red and green apple, a bunch of green onions, and put them in a covered microwavable dish along with a couple of cinnamon sticks and a cup of water, and set at 5 minutes on high. When I took the dish out and removed the cover, I set it on the counter, and the aroma from it filled the house with a smell that was unbelievable. You could be stuffed the gills, and that smell would have you salivating all over again.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    DavidR, Thanks for the feedback. I knew it would be good as I've used Altons method three times and have always been pleased with the results. As usual you can doctor up the brine with you favorite herbs and spices.
    Now don't eat too much as to spoil your appettite for Thanksgiving dinner. It's getting close you know.lol
    Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    DavidR,
    Did you cook it in the egg or in the oven? I'm thinking about trying the 500/350 method in the egg, but wondering how long it will take the egg to cool down once you have had it at 500 for half an hour.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I did the test cook in the oven, but since my wife has confiscated the oven on turkey day . . it's the egg.[p]As for the 500/350 method, neither you or I will have any problem. After 30 minutes or so at 500*, (that's adjustable according to to how dark you want the turkey) close the vents on the egg. Then open the lid and remove the turkey, and then immediatly close the lid. During the time it takes to insert the Polder probe, and put foil on the breast, Egg temp will start to ramp down. When you open the lid to put the turkey back in, that will let more heat escape. After closing the lid, readjust your vents for your normal 325 to 350* degree setting.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    DavidR,
    I find that if you spray the turkey with olive oil and cook at a steady 350, you'll get the same wonderful light mahogany color. If you let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours after brining and rinsing and befor cooking, you'll get the same crispy skin that Alton acheives with teh 500/350 method.