Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Butts will fit?

Options
Egglicious
Egglicious Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got asked to do some cooking for a meeting for church group. How many Butts can I fit on the large using the standard grill and the grill extender. I am thinking maybe five total, three on the lower and two on top??

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Five will fit, but make sure you have a deep sturdy drip pan. Five butts will release a lot of fat. -RP
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Depending on their size I think five should fit fine. Just remember that if the butts are touching your cook time will be a lot longer because they will act as one solid meat.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    How many people are you cooking for. I have done four 9 pounders and fed over 30 people with it.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    I really dont know. I made some for a friend the other day for his family. The neighbor had some and then asked if I would consider making some for their mens night church supper, not sure how many people.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    Thanks. If I do five at time I am sure they will be touching until they cook down a bit. Will I need to allow more time? I think if I do this I will cook it all a few days ahead anyway so time wont matter that much.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    five will fit but i usually buy them and there are usually only 2 to a pack so i have only done four

DSCN0083.jpg

likje azrp said use a drip pan i did not in the picture above and had a huge grease fire that melted my gasket :pinch: but it was my stupidity :blush:

since then i have used a drip pan

04-05-2008002.jpg

04-05-2008005.jpg

dont worry about them touching...

btw do you have a draft system? reason i ask is i have always thought it would be really hard to do that many butts without a draft system ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Celtic Wolf has a pic of his Large doing six, but he warns not to try it without some sort of pit minder (Stoker, DigiQ, etc). I've done four and, with the exception of how much lump it went through, the Egg handled it with no problem.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    One more time that is a myth. During the cook they will shrink and separate.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Six will fit. As Jeffersonian stated I would not attempt this without The BBQ Guru or a Stoker. Unless you want to be up all night tending to the cooker.
    IMG_8055-033.jpg

Put them on at between 6 and 7 PM, took them off at 10 AM

IMG_8069-043.jpg

Marines ate them all up..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You have a lot left over?? If not, them was some pig eaten fools!! :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Be very careful here. You are bordering on catering, especially if you are not a member of that club.

This link will help
    Pulled Pork