Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex's steak technique

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of using TRex's technique tonight of a quick sear at 750 follwed by a 20 minute resting period at room temp before placing steaks back on the fire at 400 until done. I have 2 thin porterhouses (about 3/4 in thick at most). Any guesses on the time both for sear and finishing at 400? The suggestion for 1.5-2 inch steaks was 90 seconds per side at 750 and then about 3-4 minutes per side at 400. Obviously I need to do less for a thinner steak, but just looking for some input. Thanks.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Aron,[p]Those are pretty thin to sear at 750° and get anything near a nice sear without having them fully cooked. By the time you sear them, they will be almost done.[p]Tim
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Aron,
    I am using a modified version of the TRex. The original way to cook a perfect steak with the 1.5min flip 1.5min then a 4 minute dwell left my steaks too smokey and sometimes a little overdone on the side that dwelled. When I saw the TRex version I immediately realized that it would aleviate the smokey problem as you don't shut down the egg, creating all the smoke.[p]What I do is the sear at 750*, plate the steak and let the egg get back down to around 500ish. This only takes a couple of minutes. I keep the vents only slightly open to keep from building smoke. Throw you Steaks back on for approx. 4 minutes. The best way is to take your polder and heat it in the top of the egg to about 120* then stick it in your steak....because if you go by temperature, your sure to get what you want. [p]Just remember if your using 3/4" steaks you'll have to work quick.
    Good Luck...BobbyG