Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjusting BGE Thermometer

GatorEgg
GatorEgg Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help, I'm out in Las Cruses, NM trying to cook a 10lb brisket using my sons BGE and the thermometer is way off(100 degrees) How do you adjust the darn thing. I've never had to tinker with mine. Please help before I ruin the brisket. It's cooking way to fast. Thanks!

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    First, are you sure it's off by 100°?? What's the outside temp today?
    If it's 0°, then the temp should read 0. If it's 80-100° outside, then the thermometer will read that (or close to it). But if you must adjust, place the tip in some boiling water, and use a 3/8" wrench on the adjusting nut at the top of the stem. Turn it until your needle points to 212°.
    GO GATORS !
  • Thanks Mike, I figured it out. I can't believe the thermometer was that far off either. I adjusted it to read between the first and second tick mark using boiling water. I tested mine back in Tampa right after I got my BGE and it was right on. Anyway, it's reading right now. I just wonder if I ruined the brisket. My son put it on this morning at 5:30 and went back to bed. When he got up he said the temperature was 150 degrees.
    When I got to his house this morning I cranked it up to about 280 thinking I could make up for lost time. In reality, it was 380 plus. I could hear the thing cooking way to fast, so I suspected the thermo was off. I'm sure it's going to be a little dry. So much for an old egger showing off for a newbie.

"It's great to be a Florida Gator" Gooooo Gators!
  • You might be surprised with the results. What is important is the temp of the meat itself.

If you bark seems to be developing more than you like lightly tent the top of the brisket from that point on in the cook.

GG
  • Thanks,
    The internal temperature got up to 185, I'm shooting for 195-200. I usually pull my brisket at 170 and wrap it in cellophane and then double wrap in foil for the final 25 degrees. This method keeps it real moist. I went ahead and wrapped at 185 and put it back on. We'll see!
    Thanks again.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    regarding your surprise that it was off that much is the spring clip still in place on the inside? That bites the stem so tightly if your son ever turned the thermometer it will go out of whack. That's why I'm a big advocate of trashing that clip! Gravity is going to hold it in place.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    I got rid of the clip on both of mine a well.