Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pit Minder or Digi II

Grillin GuyGrillin Guy Posts: 302
edited 3:46AM in EggHead Forum
My local dealer has a restaurant in his store that cooks on BGE's. I noticed he has the Pit Minder from BBQ Guru instead of the Digi II. Just wondered if any of you use the Pit Minder on your BGE instead of the Digi II. The Pit Minder seems to be about a hundred dollars cheaper. Pros, cons?
·

Comments

• I have both. I first bought the PM, in which works good but couldn't get it real accurate like you can the DII. The DII works, IMO better than the Pit Minder. More functions such as dome and food temp, ramping and the opening of the lid...in which I haven't used any of these features. At night, you can see the electonic read outs better than the PM. Also, the leads can with take a higher temperature around 700 degrees or maybe even higher. Great for that 500 degree chicken. If you or anyone else is interested, I'll sell my Pit Minder real cheap. All you need is the fan.
    ·
  • It seems you answered your own question...

The Pit Minder would be the perfect solution for one who is cooking on the egg all day, dome open & closed often. Needs being a secure steady temp.

For general use, why not have the extra features afforded by the DigiQ2. If nothing else, the meat & food probes and monitoring is a huge plus.

The egg, once stabilized, is very capable of holding its temp during cooks even extremely long cooks.

I guess it is akin to buying a car and saving a lot of money by leaving off the windshield washers, heater, auto trans, power windows, curse control, power locks, air conditioning and on and on.

Both the pit minder & q2 will do a good job and it is up to you if the hundred bucks is worth the flexibility.

GG
    ·
  • Cheap I like....... drop me an email with the price.
    ·
  • Thank's Kent.....You make some good points..... as always.
    ·
  • grEGGorgrEGGor Posts: 109
    I have the DigiQ II - and it is fantastic. You will not be disappointed!

Greg
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    buying a car and saving a lot of money by leaving off the windshield washers, heater, auto trans, power windows, curse control, power locks, air conditioning

Trust me, my car needs that particular option.
    ·
  • :laugh: :laugh:
    ·