Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Totally on Topic - Thanksgiving, and I appologize in anvance for this post

Toe 49
Toe 49 Posts: 193
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sure this has probably come up recently. I tried to search the archives and scanned recent messages unsuccessfully. So here it is. I've been challenged by a friend, who I recently cooked a butterfly chicken for, to attempt the same with a turkey. I know I have seen posts regarding this and would love to try this. I know he’s challenged me just so I cook for him again but also think this would be fun to try. Anyone have success with this? What about (obviously not in bird) stuffing? Gravy?[p]Any reply here would be great or to the email address I have included. Thanks a lot! Happy Q’ing!

Comments

• Toe 49, Would this be a "Spatchcock Turkey"?

• Toe 49
    birdman,[p]Some would call it that also.....just wondering about cooking time.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Toe 49,[p]Yo Toe. Here is a recipe that folks refer to when wanting to cut the backbone out of a turkey.
    I've been wanting to do one as well and when I do, I will follow this recipe. For gravy, catch the drippings and go from there.
    Let me know how it turns out.
    Good luck with your schmoozing friend. :~)[p]John

[ul][li]Cat's Butterflied Turkey with Mushroom Stuffing[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Toe 49,
    Interesting that you should bring up this topic as my wife and I were having a discussion about spatchcocked turkey. I wanted to do just that (our chickens are as good as anyone's), but my wife said "it would not look like Thanksgiving". Point well-taken; we will have a roasted turkey done over apple smoke. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Is a butterflied chicken possibly the same thing as what I've heard called an 'airline chicken'? (kind of broken in half with the wings spread out)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Toe 49,
    Someone at Eggfest01 did a deboned turkey that was absolutely fantastic...I dont recall seeing any recipe or procedure posts explaining this..but it sure tasted GOOD...[p]Wess

• Toe 49
    Toe 49,
    Now the honest truth.......this will be done for (I say with a grin) for a friend/bartender who works at a local Irish Pub. He'll be working Thanksgiving. I was tailgating at a Patriots game and did a chicken this way. He said to me I had just "raised the bar" as far as what he expects from chicken from now on. Well, he threw out the other day "I bet you can raise the bar for what I expect in turkey by doing it the same way". I can't back down! I will be having dinner at my mom's house with some family (5 minutes away) but will be doing this and bring it down to the bar for him to share with patrons.....gotta' keep your bartender happy!