Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Bama Boy
Bama Boy Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's a game day tradition in the fall at our house - smoking rib. Every week I seem to do them a little differently - with a rib rack - then the next week directly on the grid. Direct one week - indirect the next. They are always REALLY GOOD - (except when Alabama loses) I'm just wondering how everybody else does theirs. I've had my Egg about 2 years and I'm learning there many ways to do the same thing - but the end result is usually the best food I've ever eaten.

Comments

• Spares, I like the 3-2-1 method with John Henry Pecan rub and mustard, indirect 250. Foil with honey, bown sugar and apple juice. Sauce on the side as I like mine dry. Roll Tide!!!
  • I always go indirect, start at a low temp and gradually let it rise threw out the cook. No foil unless competeing.
    DP regular and finish with the Hog of the Blues Brothers. :woohoo:
    ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • I always cook mine about 260 dome until they are easily bent by picking them up. Then I foil the ribs only for about 45 minutes. This makes them turn a loose from bone just a little bit. Then back on grid for saucing and 15 minute stand. All is done on grid with no rack. I have racks but have tasted no diff in racks versus on grid. I prefer to clean the least amount of stuff up after the cook so I go with no racks.

IMG_4042.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Yes there's a hundred way's to do ribs but Follow Mike's method and you'll never go wrong.
  • I like to cook mine at 250 degrees using indirect method. I prefer the dry rub as well. I always use a rib rack to keep them vertical so the fat juices run down them during the cook. Once I get the egg to temp, I put em' on and let em' go for 4 hours without so much as peeking at them.

They've come out amazing every time.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
  • I usually do a 3/1/1 with spares as I find more than an hour in foil makes them mushy. I will say I did them without foiling for six hours a couple of weeks ago, ala Carwash Mike, and they were very good, too.

I like using mustard and JH Pecan Rub with cherry wood for smoke.
  • I always do ribs the day of Bama vs. Arky (tomorrow)... for the annual "hog" beatdown :P

I started out doing spare ribs at 225-250 indirect for about 7 hours...cook for 7 hours and you don't need any foil to make them tender..these literally fall off the bone. My preference is no foil..ever..

Lately I have been doing baby backs more often, they probably take less time 5-6 hours but hell I still leave them on for 7..they end up with a slightly crispier outside but still VERY tender in the middle & next to the bone..call me crazy but everyone loves them even more like this :woohoo:

Been using DP Red Eye Express as a dry rub and spraying with apple juice throughout the cook...

I make my own vinegar based bbq sauce but as good a these are sauce is not even needed.

Cooking this weekend for the game and some friends, thinking about doing both spares & bb's..I'll be looking for everyone's rib pics this weekend!