Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib heaven -- can't imagine it getting any better

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished dinner -- children doing the dishes! After months of tweaking, I have arrived at my personal rib heaven. It's 3/1/1.5, per GFW's recipe, with a few little changes. [That's five and a half hours. I'm math impaired.][p]First, use fresh baby back ribs, not frozen, if possible. Remove the membrane on the back with a butter knife; it's easy once you know how. Rub in a little cheap yellow mustard and sprinkle on season salt -- not too much. You can do this in the morning of the same day you are going to cook -- I have done it two days before and one day before, and in the morning, and I have not found a difference.[p]Fire up the Egg six hours before dinner and add several big chunks of hickory. Here's my setup, from the bottom up: firebricks, drip pan with a little water, small grid on top of the drip pan, ribs stacked vertically with the help of a rib rack. [Made it myself out of an old small circular bbq grill -- bent it into a U shape, with a flat bottom.][p]Put them on the Egg at 250 for 3 hours. Wrap them in foil, back on the grill for another hour. Take them out of the foil -- watch out -- lots of fat will have dripped off into the foil. Back on the grill for another 45 min. Brush on some good bottled bbq sauce, which I doctored up with some hot sauce. Back on the grill for another 45 min, still at 250.[p]At dinnertime, had a little trouble cutting them up for serving -- no matter how careful I was, some of the meat just fell off the bones. Could have cut the ribs apart with a butter knife, easily. Mahogany brown, tender, juicy, not at all fatty, smokey, a little crunchy here and there [just enough], spicy, just a little salty, just a little sweet.[p]You know it's good when dinner-table conversation ceases; everyone is too busy making sure that every morsel is stripped from the bones. The bones on the plates at the end of the meal were pure white. Not a scrap remained.[p]Thanks to GFW and all of the other Eggsperts who have provided so many tips on the Art of Ribbing!

Comments