Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Success

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Tim M and The Naked Whiz my first attempt at a brined turkey breast was a success. My wife said "there will be more of these" and she had the good sense to notice that my Large BGE will hold two next time. Brined in salt and brown sugar with some cajun seasoning overnight. Early this morning the Naked Whiz suggested I take it out of the brine solution, the thought being overnight may be too long. I followed his advice and washed it down with fresh water and re-refrigerated it until time to put in on the Egg at 350°. I followed Tim's advice and olive oiled it down first and sprinkled some pepper on it before putting it on indirect with a pan of water under it. Took about three rum and cokes (I mean three hours) and I never opened the lid once until it was at the right temperature. It was goooood.[p]Yea for me (with some help from my friends)[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey14.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Glad it worked out. She is right - it easily holds two.[p]Tim

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]What were your portions of each ingredient in your brine? If you see this first disregard my email to you on same subject. Thanks, Ray[p]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Glad to hear it came out well. Have you ever tried Brant's Brined beer butt bird??? I had company awhile back and they thought it was fantastic. I have used the same recipe for a turkey breast and loved it. (I did make more brine to cover the larger turkey breast.) [p]New Bob

[ul][li]Brant's Brined Beer Butt Bird[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    New Bob,
    Haven't tried it but I added the recipe to my recipe collection. 'preciate it.[p]I have come to the conclusion that once you understand how the Egg works, just about anything is possible. More important, someone on this Forum has probably already tried it and can pass on some really good tips to make your attempt even easier. I have my wife waiting on pins and needles waiting for me to do a pork tender loin with some of the ideas that have been presented here. Did one and it was great. The next one will be fantastic because I learned from the first one.[p]Anyway, thanks and good cooking to ya.[p]Spring Chicken

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I may have missed this in an earlier post, but can you tell us what proportions of each ingredient you had in your brine and how many hours you ended up brining? Thanks (and sorry to hear about the Mexican Restaurant fire).
  • Tim M,[p]how come the polder wires are wrapped in foil? I would think the foil would conduct more heat to the cable?