Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing a smoked turkey

Options
Rick
Rick Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang,[p]My family wants a smoked turkey, but I'm not sticking my Egg in the airline's luggage carousel. I'm thinking about smoking it 3 days in advance and travelling with a cooked bird. Soo... My question is will a smoked turkey still be delicious 3 days after cook day, and if so, what is the best way to store it (refridge or freezer, whole bird or cut into pieces)?[p]Thanks...[p]Rick.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rick,
    What's your best guess for door-to-door travel time? And how big is the bird?
    My first inclination is to cook and carve the bird, then vacuum-seal and freeze it. Check with the airline for regulations and if possible put the bags o' bird in a styrofoam ice chest (securely taped shut) with dry ice. Ship it as "checked baggage", and make sure everyone involved knows its perishable.
    Good luck,
    Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Rick,
    I did a couple of turkey breasts on Friday for delivery on Saturday night. I brined them to ensure they wouldn't dry out and then just refrigerated them whole until serving time. They turned out great.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz