Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine Suggestions for Thanksgiving!

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As many of you know, I am associated with the wine industry. If you need a suggestion of wine to serve with your special meal, ask!
I will not be brand specific, unless you ask for it but will be type specific.
Tell me what you are serving, and how you are preparing it, and I will give you some basic recommendations.
Just thought I would offer, so to help make your meal special!
Hammer

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I hope you are with YellowTail. That Chardonay (sp?) is wonderful. I am more of a red wine lover but I like that one.[p]Tim
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Hammer,
    Your offer is most charitable. I am doing an"Egged" turkey with the traditional sides, would indeed like your suggestion..Thanks..nde

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Hammer,Me-Me-Me. We are doing a prime rib on the BGE. I'll take any wine recommendations you can throw this way.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tim M,
    I happen to agree with you Tim. A couple weeks ago I egged a 6# turkey breast that I had brined. Served it with Yellow Tail Chardonnay...t'was a great marriage of fowl and vino!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    All in favor of Hammer being the Forum's Sommelier say 'aye' ...[p]
    Aye,
    Puj

• Hammer
    Options
    Strmn2smoke,
    Depending on the spices, etc; I would recommend either a Chardonnay, or a Pinot Grigio. If the turkey is not to heavily spiced, and you want an off-dry wine to compliment it, I would recommend a Sauvignon Blanc, or a Fume Blanc, which are basically the same wine, but with a different name that was coined by the Robert Mondavi Winery.
    The difference in alcohol level will be apparent, between a Chardonnay and a Sauvignon Blanc.
    You might want to also try a Merlot if your tastes go to red!
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Tim M,
    No, I am not with the Yellow Tail people, but Bill Deutsch who owns the Yellow Tail brand is a friend of mine, and I often try different products that he has.
    Yellow Tail has been quite a success, and appeals to the American Palate for a plethora of reasons. Easy to drink, finishes nicely, from Australia, and a value for the money.
    I wish Bill and his company continued success.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    RRP,
    The Yellow Tail brand also has an Australian Shiraz, which is also easy to drink.
    Hammer

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Puj:[p]Second your aye . . .
    [/b]
  • Hammer
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks for the nomination, and if elected I will try to serve with the knowledge that I have gleaned over the past thirty five(35) years in the wine business.
    The one(1) thing I know is that there is not an expert in the wine business, they don't exist. The industry and tastes change daily, sometimes hourly.
    Thanks again for the nomination!
    Hammer [p][p][p][p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hammer,[p]All good whites. I am a trend breaker and don't think that foul needs a white and meat needs a red as does Italian foods. I prefer reds with everything and I know some (my wife) enjoys whites with everything, although she often does have a red with some things. I go with the "drink what you enjoy" theory. I have tried them all - and I drink what I enjoy -- reds. The YellowTail is a hold out and I really do enjoy that - but only if I have no Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon or maybe a Shiraz.[p]I would be willing to "test" anything you have!![p]Tim - the wine-o
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I'm attending a very big family gathering for which I won't be cooking. The meal will include all of the traditionals plus, I'm sure, some more. I would appreciate brand specific recommendations. What would be great would be several recommendations by price level. Let me know what you think would be the base recommendation, then maybe a mid level one, then the high end with remarks. Based on that, I might be able to decide what I should bring.[p]Thanks,
    Dave

• Cornfed
    Options
    Puj,[p]Aye![p]Now give me some options by price range with remarks :)[p]Let me know the options, and I'll be able to decide how deep into my pockets I should dig. This is my family, and I actually do like them, so it would be excellent to hear what you'd recommend![p]HEEEEEEEEEEE,
    Cornfed

• djm5x9
    Options
    Hammer:[p]OK . . . With RRP's rave review on Chuck's chili recipe, chili dogs topped with cole slaw is the main course for tomorrow evening with home made onion rings. Not trying to be a SAWB, but what kind of table wine would you suggest? The Princess has a glass with most every evening meal and I have about thirty bottles of basic fermented grape juice to select from . . . Most still have corks in them.[p]I know this is an odd request, but I am a unique fellow . . . Just ask Tim . . . What would you suggest?[p]RRP, thanks for the review; Chuck, thanks for the recipe.
  • Hammer,[p]Can you recommend a nice red zin for under $15? I love a brand called Peachy Canyon, but have trouble finding it.[p]Thanks![p]Lee
  • Hammer
    Options
    QSis,
    Red Zinfandel is the only type of a zinfandel that I would personally suggest. In my opinion there are no similarities in taste, body, or finish between a red and a white zinfandel. It is hard to believe that they are both made with the same grape, although the wine making processes are different.
    I would recommend that several products in the price range you are looking for that you would like is the Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel, or Ridge Zinfandel.
    Hammer [p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Puj,
    Aye![p]Ken

• Hammer
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I would recommend a Rose(Rozay), or a light bodied red like a merlot. If you really want to have something different, try one of the fruit varietals made by Arbor Mist, or Wild Vines.
    They are light, made with varietal grapes, made with a variety of fruit flavorings, and I have tried them with Chile, hot dogs, and hamburgers.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Cornfed,
    My suggestions are to use varietals in all three price catagories, re;low, mid, and high; and in the low and mid price ranges to use the 1.5 litre size; and in the high price range, your choices will be limited mainly to the 750ml. size, because generally producers do not make wines in this price range in anything larger than a 750ml.
    I would limit my choices to the following in all price ranges.
    Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio; Shiraz;(White Zin or roses for those wanting something lighter and fruiter)
    Several wineriesthat produce wines in all the ranges you are looking for are:
    Low: Livingston Cellars;Paul Masson;Inglenook
    Mid: Turning Leaf; Woodbridge; Fetzer;Redwood Creek
    High: Marcelina Cabernet, Chardonnay, or Merlot; Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel; or Indigo Hills.
    Imports:Yellow Tail; McWilliams Handwood; Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio; Lindemans;
    These are only a few of the one's that should fill your needs. If you want to have a special treat; buy a 1999 vintage Pinot Noir. Any producer-great wine!
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Tim M,
    You are so correct. The red with red; white with white did nothing but hurt the wine industry. A person should do exactly what you do;drink what you enjoy regardless of what you are eating.
    On more than one occasion I have had a red wine with fish, because I enjoy red's; or a steak or beef with a white burgundy.
    My wife and I enjoy wine with food, and especially when it has been cooked on the BGE!
    Hammer

• Hammer,[p]I will try both - thank you![p]Lee

• djm5x9
    Options
    Hammer:[p]Thanks, I have a merlot catching a little cold wind on the deck as we speak.
    [/b]
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Hammer,
    Many thanks for the response, will probably go with the red. have a nice Thanksgiving////nde

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    Hammer,I'm with you on the Yellow Tail. I purchased a case and by the time we were down to the last 7 bottles, I could not drink any more. It's way too sweet for me..almost like a white zin. What are the other vintages your friend has to offer?
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 10
    Options
    Puj,[p]Aye, count me in! Great suggestions.
    Mort

• Hammer
    Options
    Peggy,
    I will try and get you a complete list, but it may vary in any area, due to allocations, state approvals, etc; etc;.
    Vintages of course vary from year to year, but types basically stay the same.
    The industry often comes up with a twist on names. Example; Sauvignon Blancs as a whole was always a mainstay as a type, but it took Robert Mondavi to coin the name"Fume Blanc" to get the type really off and running in the United States; it was the same way for Australian Shiraz. It was known in the US as member of the syrah family, and marketed as such, with limited success. Today, there is a demand to bring out new Shiraz's almost daily.
    While I personally am not a fan of White Zinfandels for many reasons, it is well accepted by the American Consumer. However, it took Sutter Home to take the zinfandel grape, left it on the skins a limited amount of time to achieve the blush color, and left the sugar levels relatively high, and named it White Zinfandel to make it become a household name, versus the regular Zinfandel products.
    Sutter, Beringer, Turning Leaf , among others have done a good job, in marketing white Zinfandels.
    Hammer[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hammer,
    You don't like Zins with turkey from the BGE?
    JCA

• Cornfed
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Thanks! I'll have a look at these options and I'll let you know what I end up going with.[p]Cornfed
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Puj,[p]Count us in for another couple of aye's for Mr. Hammer!
    The wife and I even went away last weekend for a gourmet cuisine and wine education event (35 year anniversary gift to each other). We really thought we were good at wine pairings. The outcome of the event was that we now realize just how little we really know.[p]K~G

• Hammer
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I don't believe I said I didn't like Zins with Turkey; what I said is that I don't want a white Zin with Turkey or anything. Some people may, I don't.
    I would drink a zin with a lighter body than I normally drink, Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel, but definitely not a white zin.
    I hope this clarifies this. However, I perscribe to the theory, that drink what you like, with what ever you eat, whether it be beef, fish, or fowl.
    Hammer