Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Pulled Pork Questions

Options
Skids
Skids Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my Large Egg. I've done some short slow cooks (4 hours) and some fast cooks (rib eyes...truly the best I've ever eaten). Now, the time has come for the long slow cook. I have yet to purchase (hence the questions) the meat. This weekend I hope to do pulled pork. If successful, I'm going to go after the 4-bone standing rib (beef) roast...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's what I know: 7'ish pound pork shoulder (aka, boston butt); cook 2 hours per pound (aka 15-18 hours); cook at 225-235 degrees; remove when internal temp reaches 190-200 degrees.

Here's what I don't know:
1) Since I don't have any fancy "helpers" (guru's and other gadgets that I see posted but have no idea what you all are talking about), will a full fire box of lump go the distance or will I need to replenish (I'm trying to avoid opening up the BGE until my digital probe themometer (ok, I have one gadget) reads 190-200 degrees.
2) I've seen many posts on pulled-pork and I need someone to tell me in simple terms, what do you do once you achieve 190'ish internal...do I wrap it in foil and wait "x" minutes, do I commence to pullin', what??
3) Here's a tough one; accepting that everyone has different tastes, what do you recommend for the "sauce." I can always fall back on the commercial stuff, but I thought I saw someone provide a recipe for the Carolina (is that the rather liquid and somewhat sweet/tangy one?) sauce but I can't find it anywhere in my searches.
4) After you pull, do you apply the sauce to the entire amount?
5) How do you keep all the pulled pork from drying out...I'm talking about the leftovers.

This is my test run as I have a fair number (12) of folks coming during the first week of Oct and they specifically asked for pulled pork (guess I bragged too much about the Egg). I would like to have at least one pulled pork experience under my belt before I go "prime time" with a dozen of folks who have high expectations.

Thanks in advance for you time and consideration.
Skids

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    1. Fill your lump to half way up in the fire ring, you won't have to reload.
    2. I like to wrap it in foil and let it rest at least an hour.
    3. This is our favorite for PP.
    1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.

4. We put the sauce on the meat when its on the bun.
    5. Some mix in a little Coke, but I haven't found it to dry out. -RP
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    Skids wrote:
    I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my Large Egg. I've done some short slow cooks (4 hours) and some fast cooks (rib eyes...truly the best I've ever eaten). Now, the time has come for the long slow cook. I have yet to purchase (hence the questions) the meat. This weekend I hope to do pulled pork. If successful, I'm going to go after the 4-bone standing rib (beef) roast...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's what I know: 7'ish pound pork shoulder (aka, boston butt); cook 2 hours per pound (aka 15-18 hours); cook at 225-235 degrees; remove when internal temp reaches 190-200 degrees.

Here's what I don't know:
    1) Since I don't have any fancy "helpers" (guru's and other gadgets that I see posted but have no idea what you all are talking about), will a full fire box of lump go the distance or will I need to replenish (I'm trying to avoid opening up the BGE until my digital probe themometer (ok, I have one gadget) reads 190-200 degrees.

Load your fire box very full. I've done 18 hour cooks with some lump left over. You shouldn't have any problems, just don't open the lid, unless you have to.

2) I've seen many posts on pulled-pork and I need someone to tell me in simple terms, what do you do once you achieve 190'ish internal...do I wrap it in foil and wait "x" minutes, do I commence to pullin', what??

Many ways to skin a cat! I take mine off the egg @ 195*, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with a few dish towels on top for at least an hour, longer if I'm in no hurry. After it rests, I pull. I've even put the butt in the fridge unpulled until the next day after the cooler rest, with good results. Be aware of the plataeu. Your butt may get to 170-180 pretty quick, and then stall. Sometimes for an hour or three. Don't worry, it's normal, as the fat is rendering. This what makes the meat tender & juicy. Be patient. Times really don't matter...except when your late with dinner. I've done a 9# butt that took 17 hours, and did another 9#er on Labor Day that only took 11 hours. They are their own beast.

3) Here's a tough one; accepting that everyone has different tastes, what do you recommend for the "sauce." I can always fall back on the commercial stuff, but I thought I saw someone provide a recipe for the Carolina (is that the rather liquid and somewhat sweet/tangy one?) sauce but I can't find it anywhere in my searches.

I can't help you with the Carolina sauce, but I'll tell you what I do. I rub the butt with honey mustard and apply a rub of equal parts sea salt, paprika, brown sugar, ground pepper. Then I dress that up with a little cayenne and Durkee's Rib & Chicken Rub. I apply the nite before my cook and wrap in Saran wrap. Sometimes I'll mop with equal parts apple juice, apple cider vinegar, & Sweet Baby Rays (commercial bbq sauce) when the internal reaches 18x*.

4) After you pull, do you apply the sauce to the entire amount?

No. It's usually delicous without sauce. Personally, I'll eat a sandwich with a little Sweet Baby Rays, but after that, I'll just put it on a plate, sometimes right over a pile of cole slaw. (vinegar based)

5) How do you keep all the pulled pork from drying out...I'm talking about the leftovers.

I haven't had any issues with the leftovers drying out, but, the last butt I made the day before, and pulled it the next day. It was going to be heated up in an oven, and I was concerned that it may dry out. So, I mixed up some chicken broth with a little apple cider vinegar and Sweet Baby Rays. It really juiced up the pork and didn't empart any new or additional flavors. There are some threads about using Coke. I've not tried that yet.

This is my test run as I have a fair number (12) of folks coming during the first week of Oct and they specifically asked for pulled pork (guess I bragged too much about the Egg). I would like to have at least one pulled pork experience under my belt before I go "prime time" with a dozen of folks who have high expectations.

Thanks in advance for you time and consideration.
    Skids

You have 2 good weekends for practice. Try out a few methods and use the one that you like best. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
  • Ike Witt
    Options
    Azrp gave you a good recipe for a ketchup based, or sweeter sauce it looks like, so here is one for Carolina,
    Vinegar bbq Sauce

1 cup cider vinegar
    1tbls salt
    ½ tsp cayenne
    1tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1tbls brown sugar ( raw )
    mix and let sit for 4 to 8 hours

If you want store bought vinegar based go to
    scottsbarbequesauce.com

If you want a commercial version of AZRP's go to
    memphisflavor.com buy Willinghams or Rendezvous,or Corkys

I would serve both types of sauce on the side.

If you pull just before serving there shouldn't be a drying out issue. Foil after reaching desired temp, hold until serving.

You should get several opinions here and all should be good.

What part of th ecountry are you located, some here might be from the same area and could rec. a local sauce.

best
    allen
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    first, 250 dome temp is a better temp to cook pulled pork so cook it at 250, you will have less problems at that temp. second, here is everything you need to know.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    third, check on your cook every 3 or 4 hours and you wont be asking if its safe to eat come morning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skids
    Skids Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm in Northern Virginia (Fairfax Station)
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    I don't have the fancy guru's and I have made several. Hard to mess up, load up the lump as others have mentioned. You may have to get up once during the night to make sure fire hasn't gone out. Can't comment on the sauce but I use SBRays with honey and you will need a good cole slaw.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    No gurus here either. I like to use a 250 dome temp. It will be a little cooler on the grate.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I think it is better if pulled apart by hand rather then shredded with a fork. Pieces are a little larger and don't dry out as fast.