Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Butt question

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been talking with a guy who competes with the KCBS and he suggests removing the butt when it gets around 180* internal. Double wrapping in foil, place in a cooler and let it sit for a copule hours.[p]I know many people pull it off at an internal of 200*. Does anyone use his suggested method? I imagine it would rise a bit, but at what temp is everything broken down and made pullable?
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• wardster,
    I find that 180-185 is slicable and that 200 is pullable...[p]Matt.

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    wardster,
    One of the first ones I did was not ready when I needed it.
    I had no choice but to pull it at 185. I did let it rest for 15-20 minutes, but it pulled OK. It didn't fall apart like it would at 200, but it was fine. Now that I can compare, I prefer 200, but in a pinch, it's OK.
    Just my opinion.
    JodyMo

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    wardster,
    I've done all of mine to 199° or 200°. Pulls great.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    wardster,[p]There are several folks who will submit sliced pork in the pork category. Matter of fact, we submit both sliced and pulled. To accomplish this, we start one butt a few hours earlier than the other.[p]180-185º is perfect for slicing without it falling apart.[p]Personally, pulled is the style I like.[p]Stogie
  • wardster,
    As Stogie says he is looking for some sliced more than likely. The reason most folks like the higher finish temps on butt is that collagen leaves a sweet flavor as it breaks down. That's why some call pulled pork Pig Candy it is just sweeter than sliced.
    I find that aprox 195º is the temp I shoot for, it pulles in bigger pieces but I find it stay more moist, for longer,than butt taken to 220º+.
    Jim