Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Choice" Rib Roast. Choose otherwise.

Options
gwopy
gwopy Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked 7lbs worth, bone-in, @ 230 degree dome temp for about 4 hours to an internal temp of 130 degrees...maybe a bit more.

Pulled it out and let it sit for about a half hour.

Cut it thin, and I'D RATHER HAVE EATEN MY BIKE TIRE!!!

I even threw together a nice horseradish sauce and got a good bottle of Cabernet for us.

My advice, get Prime or just cook burgers.

Comments

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    thats too bad. I hate it when on the rare occassion you put all that time and effort into a good meal (and expense) and the quality of the meat ruins it.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    gwopy wrote:
    Cooked 7lbs worth, bone-in, @ 230 degree dome temp for about 4 hours to an internal temp of 130 degrees...maybe a bit more.

Pulled it out and let it sit for about a half hour.

Cut it thin, and I'D RATHER HAVE EATEN MY BIKE TIRE!!!

I even threw together a nice horseradish sauce and got a good bottle of Cabernet for us.

My advice, get Prime or just cook burgers.

Sounds like you did everything right and definitely had a bad cut of meat. But choice is the 2nd highest grade there is and I only cook choice (except on payday) and it always comes out near perfect.

Did you get yours from Sam's club or something? Good cut choice from a real butcher comes out awesome 100% of the time. Especially high quality cuts like rib roast.

Here's some pics of a choice bottom round, this thing was so good you'd never know the difference unless side by side.

malikiliki078.jpg

malikiliki080.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    When I do a prime rib I get the Egg to 450* foe 30-min. drop the temp to 325* for 17-min. per lb. Pull at 135* and rest for 30-min. Then carve.
    Ross
  • gwopy
    gwopy Posts: 29
    Options
    Olympic Meat Market @ around the 800W block of Randolph in Chicago.

Brutal garbage. We had Big Macs with our wine. Probably better off.

If anyone has a good recommendation for a quality & non-"premium" meat market in Chicago, please post!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Your cooking method was fine and so was the resting time. Sounds to me like you got some bad beef. Bear in mind that the time spent on grading a carcas takes less than 30 seconds. I'm not suggesting any "grade switching" here, but it can happen, most likely just bad grading happened. Look, since you have an $80+ piece of meat that was that bad, go have a talk with them... any shop worth their salt will replace it with anything from the counter, no questions asked. Just take your receipt, no need to take the leftover in.

Since you are shopping at a meat market that has a real butcher and a good selection, a good rule of thumb is to get a sirloin end roast, ribs 9-12. It will be more tender than the front end (or chuck end) and will have a larger eye too.

Anyway, don't give up on choice grading, it's usually an excellent value and prime grades are hard to come by for most folks.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ike Witt
    Options
    This has helped me, its always easier with pictures.
    I've had the same thing happen, and it really sucks, better luck next time.

http://www.bbqreport.com/archives/barbecue/2006/03/02/understanding-the-usda-beef-grading-system/

best
    allen