Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three Butts not one--Time difference??

Options
alanjesq
alanjesq Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made dozens of pork butt over the 8 or so years. Always one at a time. I am going to Smoke 3 Butts at one time, starting tomorrow. Sometimes my Butts take 26 hours at 210.degrees. Do any of you have any idea how much longer it would take to smoke three 7 pound Pork Butts=21 Pounds, prox. then it does to smoke one butt, if any???

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    If they are not really touching (ie pressed against each other) they should take nearly the same time as a single 7 lb butt.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Hello from a fellow STL Egger.

Those shouldn't take any longer than smoking the largest one, Alan. You might count on using a bit more lump, however.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    First bump the Dome temp up to 250 degrees. There is no reason an 8 pound butt should take 20+ hours to cook, except if the temp is too low. 210 degrees dome places the cooking surface at 185-190.

You are trying to reach 195-200 degrees and you have the grate temp below that.

Having said that - This question gets asked about as often as the "Which size should I buy?" Question.

People will tell you that if the three butts are pressed together it will be as if you are cooking one piece of meat. Not true. Over time each piece will shrink and separate. Calculate your time based on the smallest piece and take them off as they finish. Count on 1-2 hours per pound (avg. 1.5 hours per pound.

I put these on around 6PM and took them off the next day around 10am.
    IMG_8055-033.jpg

IMG_8069-043.jpg

.o0(I have got to add this to my FAQ)
  • Highflyer
    Options
    Hi Brad, I doubt if you remember me but I got on this forum and ask about investing in an egg and you along with everyone else responded in a positive way. Well I have had my BGE for over a month and have been having a blast. I am pretty new at this though and wanted to ask for some advice about the time and temp for cooking a pork butt? It seems like most people cook pork at around 250 degrees. The butts I see at the grocer average anywhere between 6-8 pounds. I also wondered if the boneless ones take less time? I suppose I should invest in a meat probe, I have been told that the internal temp for pork should be at least 170 degrees. Any advice you would have for a new egghead would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kris Kight
    Evansville, IN
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    1 -2 hours per pound. Boneless usually cook faster, but that too is subjective.

165-185 is good for sliced pork. 185-200 is good for pulled pork. Please keep in mind we are talking about Pork BUTT and not pork loin.

Pulled Pork
  • Highflyer
    Options
    Hello there Mr Celtic Wolf. Thanks so much for the advice and Thanks for the link to the Celtic BBQ blog.
    That is something I will make plenty of use. Good eggin to you.

Kris Kight
    Evansville IN
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    What CW said. And yes, a thermometer of some kind is essential for doing a pork butt. It can be a fancy electronic model with wireless remote display, or just a mechanical model like this:

DSC00097.jpg

I generally pull my butts at 200-205, then wrap in foil and towels for a 2-3 hour rest in a cooler. It really does make a big difference.