Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs/Rub/Refrigerator

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long can I keep ribs in the fridge with mustard/dry rub on them before they start to go bad?

I am going to cook ribs tomorrow around noon and was wondering if I'd be okay to pull the membrane tonight and put the mustard and rub on and wrap up in saran wrap. They'll be in the fridge for around 12-15 hours at the most.

They are baby backs if that matters.

Thanks,
John B)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Should be fine.
  • Thanks Rod, I'll go with your advice.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Sound's like a plan!

~ B

:):):)
  • They will be just fine. I do it all the time. Have fun.
  • I wouldn't suggest it. But depends on the rub.

Mike
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I do it the same way & leave them for 24 hours as a matter of course
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Well I wrapped them up in foil last night. I tried two rubs I hadn't used before: DP Jamaican Firewalk and Blues Hog's rub. We'll see how it goes.

I am using the Car Wash Mike method so I'm a little bummed that he doesn't recommend this long of a rub marinade in the fridge. Oh well...live and learn for me I guess. Thanks for all the comments folks.
  • Zippylip
    I can't speak for Mike, but the trepidation could be the acidity of the mustard & its impact on the meat, left on too long any acid (citrus, vinegar & the like) will break down meat & turn it into mush, of course the more delicate the meat the faster this occurs, like in seafoods.. I have found that pork is on the other end of the spectrum & can be exposed for much longer periods of time. I mustard & dry rub all my butts & ribs & even briskets for 24 hours before going to the egg & I have never had a problem, so you're good at 10-15 hours no doubt - enjoy
    happy in the hut
  • Thanks Zippy! I was aware of the breakdown of the meat issue and that's what caused me to write this post in the first place. I'm glad to hear that you've had good experience with it too. The briskets I do for a minimum of 12 hours, ribs and pork butts I usually give 5-6. This was just a special occasion since I'll be getting out of work early this morning and thought I'd cook them at lunch time to have for dinner with friends.

Any suggestions on how to transport them without ruining the coating of sauce I'll put on them? I was just going to wrap in foil and stick in the cooler and bring extra sauce to put on them when we open them up.
  • Zippylip
    Gett'n outa work early is a Special Occasion every time, lucky you :laugh: . Couldn't really help on the transport issue, for some reason or another I have never sauced a rib, I go dry every time, but I would think wrapping them as you plan would be fine. On the other hand, if Mike's method you are using includes a wrap in foil on the egg without sauce, followed by unwrapping then saucing, consider saving the last step for where you are going & sauce them/pop on the grill there for a dramatic presentation, plus they'll be nice & hot or the feast :evil: You could say you par-smoked them at home
    happy in the hut
  • That's certainly an option. I've never foiled them on the Egg. Considered it but I've had pretty good success without foiling them in the past. My first two sets of ribs I did were without any sauce and I thought they were amazing! My love for sauce won me over though so this week I'll put some Blue's Hog on them. I can't wait! This is a very nice 3 hour work day :)
  • Zippylip
    Based upon the age-old disputes that rage around the country over dry vs. wet ribs, one parting thought before I sign off & go to work for EIGHT hours :( , maybe do half & half, I have noticed many people have never had a dry rib (to the unindoctrinated, dry ribs really don't sound appetizing), you may make some converts out of your friends to the dry way of life
    happy in the hut
  • I really like the dry ribs and think you get a lot more flavor out of them than with sauce on them. Most people enjoy the sauce on the ribs and that's one reason I do it. Plus it gives me a little bit of additional variety I can do by mixing sauces with rubs. Have a great day and nice chattin' with you Zippy.
  • Zippylip
    by the way PD, I hope you took some pictures of those things to show us, they oughta be rollin off the egg right about now :cheer:
    happy in the hut
  • This may be a dumb question, but I'm new to the Egg and all these great ideas. I'm trying to listen and learn. I've got some babybacks I'm trying tomorrow. Please tell me more about this mustard and dry rubs and any other prep. What is the cooking temp and time? My Egg is a large, and I do have a V-rack. Should I use this or lay them on the grill?
  • I know you have cooked already, but feel the need to add my 2cents.
    As a “food - safe” sort…
    I have to say, you’re good to go, for sure! Most likely even longer than 24 hrs. (Up to three days or more in the fridge) is OK.
    The BIG thing is to not contaminate the meat when you prepare it for the fridge.
    Cross contamination over all = Bad Juju! In general, the simple stuff like: Don’t cross contaminate with hands, boards, plates, platters, knives…even towels and wash clothes.
    A few biggies are chicken, fish (really any meat or protean), potatoes, eggs, veggies and so on!
    But when preparing meat for the fridge. Just keep in mind that you have to keep everything clean. No whipping your hands on the apron, shirt, pants or a towel that’s been laying about the kitchen, picking your nose…or butt, whipping your face or mouth! Just be really conscious of “CLEAN” and always error on the safe side! If you do…You will be fine!