Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setting the 'egg' in the table.

safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best thing to ste the 'egg' on when putting into the table. I was going to also use the supplied feet, as to get air between the egg and the stone/base. As usual thank you for all your support.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    If you are putting it onto a wooden surface, I would put something between the egg feet and the wood, this is pretty standard:

006.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Thanks, ZippyLip, for the feed back. It looks like you used a patio stone (cement), does this hold up to the heat? I had heard that they tend to break up, that fire brick is what should be used. I figured fire brick was a little 'over kill', especially with the air gap in between the stone and the 'egg.'
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    No such thing as 'overkill' when talking about high heat my good man so if you have'm, use'm, but I can say that those cement blocks have been there for about 5 years & they have been repeatedly subjected to abusive :evil: high heat without incident, so I think they pass the test. I like them because of their size (there are actually 3 of them side by side under the egg which takes up that whole portion of the table). I also have a giant round one that looks better, however, it didn't protect the wood from those pesky buring embers that shoot out of the bottom vent (I don't have a screen down there), so I switched to these
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • You are absolutely right to use the feet.

As Zippy said, if you have firebrick you can use them, but that's not the only safe choice. As long as it's stone and it's more than an inch thick you'll be fine.

patio stones/pavers should be fine.

Don't use slate or flagstone as this doesn't hold up to heat in the long run and will crack.

Use a stone that is at least an inch thick (don't use tile).

I have an 18" square piece of 1.25" bluestone. It's holding up fine after a couple years of regular use.
  • I know what you mean about over kill, it goes hand and hand with my job. I like doing things right the first time.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I suggest that you consider buying a "Pot Lifter".

http://www.potlifter.com/

This is a slick little tool that will fit the BGE up to LG and makes it really easy for two people to handle it.

I did not do a search of the forum, but there have been several posts about using this product.

Just for clarifcation, I do not have anything to do with this product or company.
  • Concur with BobS about the potlifter...I have one and I've used it to put my Son's lge in his table and I actually lifted my new lge when I put it together into the nest (still looking for a table). It is a back saver for sure. Worth every dollar.
  • This report has some good info about what to place under your egg.

I liked the idea of a potlifter but they want $25-$30 plus shipping for something that is pretty basic. I ended up finding a similar strap device at Harbor Freight for only $3.99. It looks and works great.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    I bought a pot lifter, but never had to use it. With the top removed, and the bottom of the egg emptied of the firebox and fire ring, it wasn't too heavy to lift by myself. ( One hand through the bottom vent ). Underneath, I used 2 leftover ceramic floor tiles and the green BGE feet. One of the tiles cracked, but I never bothered to replace it. Still works fine. Good Luck.
  • FlaMike is right. Prior to buying the cheap pot lifter from Harbor Freight, I was able to move my egg easily by the same method that he mentions. I prefer to take it apart anyway since it needs to be cleaned out once in a while. The only reason I want the pot lifter is so that I can raise the egg up out of the table to check my support structure and clean under the egg periodically. With the pot lifter I can attach two ratchet straps to the overhead carport support beams and connect one to each handle, then simply ratchet the egg straight up and out of the table and let it hang there while I work on the table.

No matter how you remove your egg I recommend being very careful when sliding the egg base in or out of the table. The side of the base can scrape on the edge of the table and damage your egg finish, especially on tables with ceramic tiles. To prevent this I cover the inside edges of the egg hole with a thin blanket or foam pad before I move the egg.

I also recommend clearing a space for the egg parts ahead of time, and moving them very slowly and carefully. You don't want to rush and trip or drop one of the egg parts.