Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGtoberfest Recipes (LONG post)

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm still trying to get all the recipes. (Maybe next year) but here are the ones I have so far. Several others can be found in the submitted recipes.
Smoked Chili
Submitted by: Jim Brownlow
Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 garlic bud
1 green pepper chopped
1 large red onion chopped fine
2 TBS bacon drippings
2 cans chopped tomatoes
3 whole cloves
2 TBS chili powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 bay leaf
tabasco [optional] to taste
2 cans mexican chili beans or kidney beans
Directions:
Brown ground beef, garlic bud, green pepper, and red onion in bacon drippings.
Add chopped tomatos, cloves, chili powder, salt, bay leaf, tabasco and beans.
Simmer 2 hours in AWESOME Big Green EGG for AWESOME SMOKED CHILI.[p]Chicken Cordon Bleu
Submitted by YB Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Ingredients
6 medium skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
1 5-oz container semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs
2½ oz very thinly sliced fully cooked ham
½ cup fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
1 TBS snipped fresh parsley
½ cup milk
Nonstick spray coating
1 TBS margarine or butter, melted
Directions:
Place each chicken breast half,boned side up, between pieces of clear plastic wrap.
Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thick.
Remove plastic wrap.
Spread chicken with cheese.
Place ham, cutting to fit, over each chicken breast.
Fold in the long sides of the chicken and roll up into a sprial starting from the short edge.
Secure with wooden toothpicks.
Combine bread crumbs and parsley in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken rolls first in milk and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat.
Spray a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating.
Place chicken rolls, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
Drizzle with melted margarine or butter.
Place pan on plate setter and pizza stone in the Egg.
Bake in a 400 degree F Egg for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and chicken is tender and no longer pink.[p]The Apple Lady's Apple Cake
Submitted by: Wise One
Adapted from a recipe courtesy The Paris Cookbook - Patricia Wells
I saw this recipe on FoodTV one day and decided it would be good on the grill. It came from a woman sells apples in one of the Parisian friut and vegetable markets. It is quite simple and quite delicious. Serve with ice cream or my wife used a cinnamon yogurt mixture to spoon over the top. This is a great thing to cook as you eat your main course.
Ingredients:
½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 TBS vegetable oil
1/3 cup whole milk
4 baking apples (about 2 pounds total), cored, peeled, and
cut into thin wedges
Topping:
1/3 cup sugar (turbinado sugar works well)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 TBS unsalted butter, melted
Directions:
Get the grill up to 400 degrees F.
Line a 10" cast iron frying pan with aluminumfoil.
Butter thefoil lining liberally and set it aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt, and stir to blend.
Add the vanilla extract, eggs, oil, and milk, and stir until well blended.
Add the apples and stir to thoroughly coat them with the batter. Spoon the mixture into the prepared frying pan.
Place the pan on some firebricks or a pizza stone and cook until fairly firm and golden, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar, egg, and melted butter, and stir to blend.
Set it aside. Pour the topping mixture over the cake in the pan.
Continue cooking the cake until the top is a deep golden brown and the cake feels quite firm when pressed with a fingertip, about 10 minutes.
Remove the pan from the grill and then lift out the cake by grabbing the tinfoil and place on a rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Then pull the tinfoil down by holding the cake edge with one hand and pulling the tinfoil down around it. Serve at room temperature, cut into small rectangles. [p]
The Great Pumpkin
Submitted by: RhumAndJerk
This recipe is loosely based upon a recipe that I found in a Native American cookbook. Pumpkin was a staple of both Colonial America and Native Americans. In my house, we have been eating pumpkin for some years, as it is very flavorful. This recipe is fun to make and has a great presentation. It is also a lot of work but relax and enjoy. You can also be creative as to what you put in the stuffing so substitute as needed. The original recipe called for ground buffalo or ground venison mixed with Italian sausage. One final note: it is actually my wife that gave me the idea to cook this.[p]Ingredients:
1 Pie Pumpkin, about 4-5 pounds
1 cup Long-Grain Rice
1 cup Wild Rice
1.5 pounds Bulk Country Sausage
1 can low sodium Chicken Broth (approx. 1 ¾ cup)
1 medium Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced
1 Leek, sliced in half, rinsed and sliced
1 clove Garlic, crushed
2 tbsp Butter
6 Mushrooms, medium-sized, cleaned and sliced
3 Green Onions, chopped
¼ pound Tasso Ham, diced
2 Apples, medium-sized, peeled and chopped
¼ cup fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tsp Fresh Thyme
1 tsp Sage
¼ cup Bourbon
¼ cup Raisins
¼ cup Golden Raisins
¼ cup Dried Currents
¼ cup Dried Cranberries
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Eggs, lightly beaten[p]Preparation:
· Cook the Long-Grain Rice as you normally would.
· Rinse the Wild Rice with cold water. Bring the chicken broth and wild rice to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Start checking after 35 minutes for doneness. It is ok if it is a little under done and all of the liquid is not absorbed.
· Brown the sausage in a skillet and drain most of the grease.
· Wash off the outside of the pumpkin. Clean the pumpkin like you would for a Jack-O-Lantern. Save the top and the seeds.
· With a fork pierce the inside of the pumpkin being careful not to break the skin. Sprinkle the inside of the pumpkin with salt and pepper.
· In a skillet, sauté the onion, leek and garlic in the butter for a couple of minutes
· Add the Mushrooms and Green Onions to the skillet and continue to sauté for a couple of minutes more.
· Add the Apples, Sausage and Ham to the skillet. Continue cooking until all is heated.
· Remove from heat.
· In a large bowl, combine the rice, wild rice, the mixture from the skillet and the rest of the ingredients (except eggs)
· Mix in the beaten eggs.
· Fill the pumpkin with the stuffing and put the top back on.[p]Cooking Instructions:
· Place the stuffed pumpkin in shallow baking dish or pie plate.
· Cook on the BGE, over indirect heat at 350 for about 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
· The pumpkin will tell you when it is done. When you touch the outside of the pumpkin, it should feel soft.
· Make sure that the stuffing reaches 180 degrees just to be on the safe side.
· Let the pumpkin rest for 15 minutes after cooking. This is important to allow the juices to be absorbed back into the stuffing.
· You can serve the pumpkin two ways, you can slice it or you can scoop out the contents making sure to include some of the pumpkin meat with stuffing. [p]Special Notes:
· The White Rice can be made the day before.
· I browned the Sausage the day before.
· I used a mixture of Apples: one Gala, ½ Granny Smith, ½ Cortland.
· I used a mixture of Mushroom: ½ button, ½ Cremini. You could use whichever kind you would like. Wild Mushrooms would be appropriate.
· You can experiment with the type of Sausage and Ham.
· To make this a vegetarian meal, just leave out the meat and add more mushrooms.
· Save the Pumpkin Seeds for the children to clean and roast.
· Place any extra stuffing in a covered baking dish and bake at 350 for about an hour.
· If baking the pumpkin in a conventional oven, place the pumpkin in a shallow baking dish with some water in it to maintain moisture.[p]

Comments