Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help! Baked potato question

GrillerGriller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a medium to large size potato I want to put along side my juicy rib eye tonight. I've wrapped it in foil and it is ready to go as is the steak. The spud questions are: How hot? and How long?

The egg is firing up as I type. Any help is much appreciated! :)
·

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    400 or higher for at least 30 minutes - probably a little longer. I usually let mine go close to an hour.

Test it for doneness by squeezing.
    ·
  • First of all take the darn thing out of foil. That is like taking a shower with a rain coat on. If you foil, heck, you may as well put it in the microwave for 4 minutes or cook it in the oven.

If your potato is close to normal grid level and cooking it at 400° or higher you may have to turn so the skin doesn't burn. On a raised grid I usually don't bother turning.

You egg is much like an oven, for the most part the same times and temps work when cooking.

Now that you have the foil off of those spuds follow Fidel's instructions.

GG
    ·
  • aaindaaind Posts: 235
    I rub with olive oil or evoo koser salt @ 350 for 45 min ,then open up the gates to get 500 -600 and throw on the meat ,
    Like gramps take the foil off get just a little smoke flavor

Have fun
    Dave
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    No foil just evo and sea salt. 400 or so indirect. 30 minutes to an hour depending on the size. we having started doing 4 small ones instead of 2 huge ones. cook quicker and more toppings and skin :blink:
    ·
  • Now ya did it... I am out to light the mini for a couple of spuds.

I planted chives this year and oh my what a difference from store bought. Fresh chives, and fresh Idaho spuds.
    Mighty fine eats.

It never stops amazing me how much better food is when cooked on the egg.

GG
    ·
  • Thanks for the tips everyone. :D
    ·
  • WanabeWanabe Posts: 355
    If I do the spud on the Mini then heat it up for the steak what is the best way to keep the potato hot?
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Wrap it in foil and a towel when it's done. It will hold an hour easily.
    ·
  • WanabeWanabe Posts: 355
    Thanks i'm going to try it tomorrow.
    ·
  • I like 450* for close to an hour, internal temp. 210*
    Ross
    ·