Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip-Pan dilemma for cooking a Brisket in the XL

Options
MSM
MSM Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I'm going put forth the effort of an overnight brisket cook, I usually do two of them.

The problem: 1)Two briskets create a whole lot of drippings. 2) The XL BGE has very little room between the plate setter and the cooking grid in the indirect cooking configuration, and therefore there is only room for a very small-profile drip pan.

I use a large trimmed-down foil pan for my drip-pan, and because it can only be about 1.5 inches deep, a few hours of cooking will require draining the drip pan with a basting tool. This makes overnight brisket cooks a beating.

The Large BGE has much more room below the grid, and therefore this would not seem to be a problem.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I have seen the accessory package that raises the grid, and therefore creates more room, but doesn't this reduce the area under the dome quite a bit? Would you still be able to fit two briskets?

What would be ideal would be a custom pan that would fit between the grid and plate setter that had a drainage tube you could route down and out the lower vent. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Comments