Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a couple Ribeyes tonight and need some advice as far as Egg temperature. I DO NOT want to try the TREX method yet. I just want a simple cook on my new CI grate. I plan to cook the steaks to 125-130 degrees internal, but what temp do cook the steaks at? 450-500? Any advice to avoid serious flareups? I cooked some burgers a couple of weeks ago and it was an inferno.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Steaks wont flare like burgers. I like to do at 400 on a raised grid until 100 internal then open the vents and finish at high temps on a lower level to 125 internal. I'm also doing one tonight.
  • Smokin-Bob
    Options
    I usually start with the rib-eyes dusted with kosher salt and pepper. Bring the grill up to around 450 degrees. If the steaks are at least one and a half inches thick then i would do about 3 minutes on each side. Flip back to the first side for another minute with the vents closed. The reason your burgers started an inferno is because of the high fat content in some prepared burgers and or the chop meat.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    you could put it on at 500, flip after a couple minutes and then just close the bottom vent down to just a little open and continue cooking while the dome temp drops. with that cast iron grid you can do a lower temp sear than what trex talks about, his method was designed for the grill that came with the egg. with the castiron you can get a descent sear at 600 degrees, rest the steak while the temps come down to 400, and then finish them off, pretty simple to do.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JD McGee
    Options
    For a 1 inch thick ribeye I usually sear at about 550-600 for 2 minutes per side dome closed for rare...2.5 per side for med rare...and 3 min per side for medium. Let rest for 5 minutes (uncovered)...enjoy. Try a little DP "Cowlick" as well!
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses.