Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tonight's tri tip

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried a shortened T-Rex (we were hungry). Seared with olive oil, S&P and DP Raisin' the Steaks, 60 secs a side then let it rest 10 mins. This was really thick, I was a good 15min at 400 post sear to get to med-rare:

IMG_3978.jpg
you can see I had the veggies on while the steak was still mooin'...a gross miscalculation!

IMG_3980.jpg
Ready to roll (though I admit my wife forced me to throw this back on the fire as the middle was barely warm... :evil:

IMG_3982.jpg
...but in the end it got wolfed down and this is all that was left

Cheers - Marge

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    that looks great, but like most folks who i see post pics of tri-tips, it looks like you didn't slice it against the grain ... . the grain on a whole tri-tip actuall runs across the short side the triangle. .. so that if you cut against the grain, and you think of the 90 degree corner of the 'triangle' of the roast, you should actually slice it starting across that 90 degree corner. ...does that make sence??. .. when sliced that way, the slices will actually get longer and longer as you slice them, but they will be the most tender that way ...its amazing how many pics i see here where people slice these across the short side of the roast for nice even slices, and they look great, but in reality they are slicing with the grain and so they aren't getting the most tender slices possible.. . try it the other way next time, you won't be sorry ...

IMG_0953.jpg
  • Large Marge
    Options
    thx for the tip (the tri tip maybe)... I actually had it cut right, that last slug was torn apart by my kids and wanted to get a shot of bloody goodness. But appreciate the catch!

Marge
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    madmax,
    how do i learn more about slicing?
    I'm sure that i have alot to learn.
    Is there a online pictorial of how to slice
    different cuts of meat?
    thanks,
    jon
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i don't know that there are any on-line pictorals of how to slice meats ....simply though ..your pricey cuts like filets/ribeyes/sirloins it really doesn't matter how you slice them. ... they are tender by nature and really don't have a 'grain' to them ....

with large roasts, like bottom or top round or eye of the round, the trick is to slice them as thin as possible, i.e. 'shave' them, to fool them into being tender. . ..

with cheap, tougher, grainier cuts, like tri-tip, flank steak, hanger steak, skirt steak and brisket, there is a very pronounced grain to them ....when you look at the piece of meat you can see them grain running them just like if you are looking at piece of pine board. . .the key then is to remember how that grain runs so that when you are finished cooking/grilling that piece of beef you can slice at a 90 degree angle across that grain to get the most tender slice possible (cutting across the grain always yields a more tender bite). . .one thing you can do with something big like a brisket is to cut a little notch into the end where the grain is prior to cooking so that you can remember where to begin slicing when its done ...i've seen lots of people do this at competitions to make it easier. . . .

hope this helps. ..
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    thanks.
    i will give that a try this weekend.
    jon