Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs...when is the membrane gone?

Options
gwopy
gwopy Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, been making St. Louis ribs lately due to a sale at the store.

Anyway, I pull off a layer or membrane, and it looks like there's more left. Do I pull off everything down to the bone?

How do you know if you got all the membrane?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    The membrane is like a piece of "meaty-parchment" paper. With a little practice, it will come off in one "sheet" -- There are some videos posted on UTube... try searching for instructions there... look for Ribs & Egg.

Fred's Music and BBQ [is that his name?], I think, has instructions... he's a poster on this forum.

Others can also direct you to other videos...

Removing the membrane will eventually take you maybe ten seconds... literally.

~ Broc
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    The membrane is really thin. I mean you can see threw it. The rest is fat and should be trimmed off. Can you imagine I don't have a pic of a membrane pulled off? :ohmy: :blush:

Mike
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    If you are getting that layer of membrane that comes off in one nice pull, I think you are good, because that is the almost plastic-like substance that will prevent your rub & the smoke from getting to the meat. Sometimes it tears & you leave some on, just be sure its off the meat itself & you are good, if a little remains fused to the bone, no worries (unless you eat the bones :ermm: )
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Large Marge
    Options
    I swear the last batch of babybacks I did, I couldn't find a membrane. Is it possible it was packed with it pulled out? It was a standard cryovac 3-rack from Costco...thx!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I think the first time I bought ribs I spent a half an hour trying to remove a membrane that wasn't there - if you can't find it, it isn't there; however, that would be surprising from Costco, when it happened to me they were from a good butcher shop, since then, I only buy them at Sam's Club, the same cryovac 3 pack you are talking about, & they ALWAYS have the membrane :S
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Just the first membrane and a little fat if you think it needs it. There's a little bit of a thin membrane right on the bone, but that holds things together, so you don't want to take it off.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have found it is easier to remove if the ribs are not stright from the fridge. The cold makes the membrane brittle ind it just kinda tears or chips when you tug on it. Closer to room temp seem to return it to an elastic consistency which works better, for me.