Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of "What's the quick brisket method? "

Options
RJH
RJH Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all the replies. I used tjv'suggestion, using the Quick Cook Boston Butt for brisket. I have to say it was damn quick,and as tender as can be in five hours flat. Mine was already cooking when I switched methods so I didn't get the time quite right, and it was a bit over 200* when I pulled it off. But it didn't dry out a bit. My only complaint was the bark had a bit of a burnt taste/texture to it. The rub was 50/50 turbinato and cow lick, so the sugar could have contributed to that. I'll stick to the traditional low and slow, but if you screw up and are pressed for time, this definitely works.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    As was posted below and from a conversation with thirdeye, quick cooking can over develop the bark as well as other factors.

Tenting with foil during the cook, when the bark is close to where you want it will help save the bark.

Glad to hear your cook turned out good.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05303JPGc.jpg

My first 4 or 5 short cut briskets, I had a hard time getting the right color on the bark. Try salt, pepper and cayenne (maybe granulated garlic too). Any sugar based rub is hard to control and can get too dark. In the Egg I'm finding that 325° works well.

When I do them over/under I put the bottom one fat down, to protect it from the rising heat, the top one goes fat up to protect it from the dome heat.

Also try pulling at 195° and going with a long rest. Like 3 or 4 hours, this way you are actually cooking the first hour or so while it is resting.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Another trick for a quicker brisket is put in a covered container over night with rub and then white sugar on it. Wipe off and add more rub before smoking.

brisket9602.jpg

Mike
  • RJH
    Options
    I did tent with foil, and I think I caught it at about the right point. The method called for 350*, but I think a bit cooler, like maybe 325*, and no sugar, would work best with this method.
  • RJH
    Options
    Yeah, for this method I think cooler at 325° would be best. I rested it in a cooler for close to 5 hrs in the foil pan leaving the juice in. It was tender and moist, full of flavor. But I love the bark, and that wasn't up to snuff for me. The more I think of it, the more I am sure it was the sugar and the 350° temp. As I said, I'm sticking with the long cooks, but in a pinch this will work.