Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

*Ping* deepsouth

QCA EggerQCA Egger Posts: 34
edited 6:35PM in EggHead Forum
Made the Eggplant Parmesan recipe for my daughter's first visit since she left for college!! Sorry no pics, but it's just as well - she would have knocked me over as she raced toward it with her fork!! It was delicious! Thanks!

Comments

• deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    thanks for that! i'll pass the praise on to my uncle next time i see him!

if anyone is interested, here is the recipe again.....

"the original sicilian recipe for eggplant parmesan included sliced potatoes and sliced onion, each fried separately and placed in alternate layers with the eggplants. finally, there was a topping of tomato sauce, medallions of mozzarella and basil leaves.

3 medium eggplants
    1 quart of basic tomato sauce
    1/2 pound of sliced mozzarella
    2 cups grated parmesan
    bread crumbs
    butter
    olive oil for frying (yes, olive oil)
    fresh basil

cut the eggplants lengthwise (japanese eggplant) or the other way for the big round eggplants and allow them to drain either laying them out in the sun or by salting and laying them on an inclined surface.

fry the eggplants in olive oil, not so much as to cover the eggplant however. do not drain the eggplant. in an oiled pan, layer the eggplant slices, tomatoe sauce, mozzarella slices, and parmesan cheese. end with a topping of parmesan, bread crumbs & small pieces of butter.

bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. garnish with fresh basil."

he has a website for his cookbook, which is also contains some of his artwork and his travel notes. it is a hardback "coffee table" book.

www.soitalian.net
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,443
    Thank you! Gonna put it on the short term, hit-list!! 8 - )~~~