Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon question

kefrantz
kefrantz Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter is getting married in May and wants salmon at the reception. If I had an XL, how big a fish could it handle? I figure a salmon on the egg beats a caterers any day.

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Well that depends on if you are doing filets, the whole fish, or the whole fish minus head or minus both head & tail.

Some salmon are more torpedo shaped and some are fat pigs so that comes into play as well.

I've been able to fit a whole (sans head & tail) 25 pounder on a large, but it was a torpedo so that was pushing it.

I've also fit two large (off a 30lb fish) filets side by side on the large, but they were pretty squished.

I am thinking on an XL you could get a 30 pounder minus head - depending on how long the fish is.

Not much help....sorry :)

I will have a better idea after eggtoberfest if someone will grab me an XL to cook on - I haven't done salmon on one yet. We should have a couple 25-30 pounders so we can do some test fitting then.
  • The major hurdle will be convincing the hubby that we need another egg. :)
  • Thanks for the info! :cheer:
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Yeah - good luck with that. I finally talked my husband into getting me a small, and I've used it probably less than 10 times. I should have insisted on an XL instead. ;)
  • I think I might be able to get around his objections. I'll just make him eat his own cooking until he gives in. :laugh:
  • WOW! Amazing...someone that has a Large and a Small that wishes they had an XL. All the debate on here about the difference between an XL and a Large and this comes out. It's what I've been saying all along. Thanks AlaskanC. By the way, congrats on the winnings at "Eggs By The Bay". Just wondering if you have tried Alaskan Amber. I have a wonderful recipe using it for Salmon.

John