Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Loin for newbie

Options
Aledo Green Dreggon
Aledo Green Dreggon Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have wanted an Egg for a long time and just got mine last night. I did a marathon 5 hours from scratch table build and this morning was ready to start. I watched the DVD last night to be prepared. I filled the firebox with lump, but not into the fire ring. Then I ignited with an electric starter. Then added wet apple chips. I cooked at 250 nicely for a while, but then the temperature started to climb on me. I fussed with the vents for a while but it stayed hot and the smoke stopped coming out of the top. The pork loin turned out well, but didn't get as much smoke absorbed as I had hoped.

So my questions are about the vents. It sounds like I should have the bottom vent opened to about 1/4" but the top vent... should I twist the top so the small holes are partially opened? completely opened? Or move the entire circle to the side so that it is partially or completely opened?

I don't have any eggcessories yet, but I am getting the impression the plate setters are very important. So comments about the plate setters and any advice on smoking pork loins and turkeys would be appreciated especially temperature, vent position, water trays etc. Those will be my primary area of concentration.

Thanks!

Comments

• Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Congrats on your Egg and welcome to the forum. Everyone on here is great. I usually cook my pork loins at 350 indirect to an internal temp of 140. As far as adjusting for temp control, just use trail and error. For a temp around 250 I usually keep the bottom open about 1/4 inch and adjust the large opening on the daisy wheel to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Its hard to ruin anything on the Egg. I would get a plate setter and a Therma Pen, you cant go wrong as long as you don't over cook anything.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would set the top vent to about 1/4 the way ope and the lower to about 1/8" open. If everything is right and you have a good fire and enough wood to smoke, then you should get a great flavor.

Most converts from the offsets and pellets are use to a lot of smoke cause that's how those cookers generate heat. What makes the egg better IMO is that it takes a lot less air to generate the same amount of heat. This in turn allows for you to use chunks rather than chips and still have unburned chunks after a 20+ hour cook.

If you haven't already done so, check out the following web site. I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Thank you. I am thawing my turkey for a second run at it. Hopefully I can pick up a plate setter in the next week or so. I have to be well rehearsed to deliver an impressive bird for Thanksgiving.