Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to Impress the In Laws! What to cook?

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The In Laws are here and they are eggpecting great things from the egg. I'm a rookie and have only cooked a half a dozen meals on my BGE. I need some suggestions for a simple yet tasty recipe for 10 adults having dinner on Friday! Details are appreciated.

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Stuart,Flank steak (2-3 for 10 people). Marinate in 1 c soy sauce, 3 cloves crushed garlic, 1 inch fresh gingerroot shredded, and 3 T toasted sesame oil for 30-45 minutes. Grill at 350-400, 8 min. one side, 5 the other for med rare. Simple and great.
  • Frozen Chosen, good suggestions..If I was going to really impress the in-law's it would be with the traditional Prime Rib Roast which is a extra easy to do with just a flat 350F cook till the meat is 140 internal..simple season with salt and pepper. Or a favorite rub..Got me hungry now. That flank steak sounds good too..Problem is, they may not leave!!
    Cheers..C~W

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Stuart, you didn't say whether it was casual or formal - for a nice casual get together about 10-14 lbs of pulled pork with baked beans and slaw would be impressive. It's easy, it just takes a little time. Good luck!

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I agree with GFW, Stuart. If it's casual and they're the kind of folks that would enjoy it make a pork butt or shoulder. Most intimidating thing I've made on the Egg and every time including the first the easiest when all was said and done. Read Elder Ward's instructions in the recipe archives and you will do no wrong. Nice thing about this dish is that if the fire gets too hot while you're asleep (cause it WILL be overnight) you just tamp it down in the mornin' and all will be well. And if it goes out the Egg insulates enough that the meat's still AOK (unless you sleep like my fiancee on the order of 14 hours at a time) add some more lump, fire it back up and you'll just be eating a little later.[p]In the case of the eating later just make sure you have some good stories, wine or bourbon and scotch on hand should there be a wait. Not necessarily in that order. ;-)[p]All in all you're assured of success. Make a nice homemade barbecue sauce (Struttin' Sauce from Smoke and Spice is one of my fav's) and have some buns.[p]Best of luck!
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Stuart,[p]Thought about it ... for I think 30 seconds ... and depending on how comfortable you are and how they like 'em steaks are of course the best thing to do on the Egg.[p]Pro's: Most outstanding meal on the Egg compared to any other cooking convention. Without ANY chips or chunks of 'flavor wood' the coals will taste much superior to charcoal or gas grills. Unless they've dined in maybe the top 10 steakhouses in the U.S. they'll be better than the same cut of steak they've ever had in any restaurant. And if they've dined in the top 10 ... they'll be no worse than 'damned close' to those they've had. Honeymoon memories of "Pico's Steak and Gizzard House" in Cabo San Lucas my cloud their judgement due to nostalgia. They'll still love 'em![p]Cons: If they like their steaks bloody (like I do) it's a tough cook. I never sear and dwell like a lot of folks cause I find after about 2 minutes of dwelling the steaks are overcooked for me. If they like 'em medium you have a lot better luck turning 'em out perfectly. Then again medium rare varies in consistency across the country. If you've already made steaks (probably have in your 1/2 dozen cooks) and had good luck then go for them![p]Also recommend the 'higher end' cuts of steak to show off the difference. Filets, New Yorks, Ribeyes and ribsteaks. Searing just doesn't do as much justice for sirloin or chuck compared to other methods. I wince when I see a friend put on $23/lb prime filets on a gas grill. Mostly because I know what that would taste like on my Egg if I weren't so cheap! =)[p]Then again the first (and to-date) only meal I've made for my inlaws on my Egg was salmon with olive oil, fresh basil, lemon slices after the turn and an almond-pesto sauce (basil, garlic, parmesan and crushed almonds in a food processor). What made it was the pesto and the alder chunks at about 300*. Fortunately though I often pay ~$15 - $20 a pound for good beef the Salmon up here makes anyone drool from Wisconsin. =)[p]Best of luck to ya and I'm sure they'll love whatever you make!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    I have to agree wid u on almostest ever' thing! Steaks, cain't be beat coming from da Egg! Exceptin' I'm like you, I lik my steak so rare, it kicks whens I stik a fork in it! (IMHO, the only ways to eat a steak!) Ribs, porkloin, prime rib... all of them are fantastic on the Egg, but they need a little experience to make sure you "make a good impression"! But,,,,,salmon up in Wisconsin is very readily available! With Lake Michigan right there on their front door step, its a gimme to get Chinook, Coho, King and Steelhead, not to mention Lakers and Brown trout. When you add Ring/Yellow perch, Walleyes, Northern & Smallies, you've got a fish menu that comes close to what the coasts have to offer! Wisconsin may be in the "sticks" to a lot of people, but it still has a lot to offer! Jist IMHO, though![p]Been there, (both places), done that and love both! :-))))[p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: The Sea Bass recipe, has done gone in my "TO DO" file! Thanks for the idea & recipe! :-))))