Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made More Bread - Honey Whole Wheat

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So the other day someone asked about making better bread on the Egg, and I promised to post another bread that I was planning to make ... here it is. Full details on the technique and cook posted on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/08/recipe-honey-wh.html

This is a honey whole wheat bread. I found the recipe in Betty Crocker's Best Bread Machine Cookbook. I didn't make it using a bread machine, but used a stand mixer instead.

Here's a picture of the finished product ... I managed to save it from the cat, who was going for the 'if I lick it, it's mine' theory. The cat knew what he was doing - this came out really tasty, with both the flavor of the whole wheat flour and the honey coming through nicely.

Honey%20Wheat%20Bread%201.jpg

- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I substituted this for the 2 tablespoons of shortning the original called for, since I didn't have any around)
- 2 ¼ cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried milk
- 1 teaspoon rapid rise dry yeast

I cooked the bread on the Egg set up for indirect cooking, with the plate setter legs down, and the little green ceramic feet that came with the Egg supporting a round stoneware baking pan set on top of the plate setter. I cooked the bread for about 25 minutes at a dome temp of 425 degrees.

Enjoy!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks good except for the cat

crackedeggfirday002.jpg

:P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb