Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Figs!

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got back from Norfolk, Virginia a couple of days ago with about a hundred fresh figs. Aside from eating them as is and grilling prosciutto wrapped fig halves with a little balsamic, what can I do with the 85 or so I have left?
Paul

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cut the top off and quatered 3 to 5 figs and stuffed chicken breast with the figs. I also used mozzarella cheese on some and cream cheese on the others. They were great. Just pound the breast flat, stuff with figs & cheese, roll up and stick with toothpicks. I cooked them indirect at 350 until 160 internal....about 45 minutes I think...

i put raspberry chipotle sauce on the chicken for the last 10 minutes of the cook.... :side:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Cut a cross in the top and put a piece of either blue cheese or Feta cheese in them. wrap in canadian bacon and grill til bacon is starting to crisp. Drizzle a little raspberry chipotle on top and fight everyone else off while you eat them.

During assembly

DSCI0005-17.jpg

After the cook

DSCI0014-6.jpg
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I make fig preserves ??? spelling ??? Rinse em off top them pop them in a pot large enough and then some, brown sugar...I like fresh lemons juiced... remove seeds optinal... slice and chop rine add to pot. Bring to a simmer for awile. Oh dice, chop the figs. Have canning jars hot and lids the same . Fill almost to the top ( while mixture is hot ) lid turn upside down on a towel. for a few. Then right side up till lids pop and let them cool down. Put in pantry, will last for ages or give as gifts. Enjoy Miles out. It's E-Z
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I also stuffed some with cream cheese & wrapped in bacon...topped with raspberry chipotle...do these indirect at 350 also...20 minutes should do it.....

next year get more figs and you can make fig jam using blackberry, peach, raspberry, strawberry gelatins...oh and raspberry fig chipotles...ummm good
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Make gelato, I saw it on the food network recently in it looked spectacular, sorry I don't have a link but if you log on to their website I am sure you could find it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Fresh Fig Gelato Recipe courtesy Massimo Palombi
    Show: Tyler's Ultimate
    Episode: Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 pint water
    3 cups pureed, peeled fresh figs (other fruit purees can be substituted)
    1 tablespoon "neutral" stabilizing powder*

*Cook's Note: Purchase this online or at cake decorating supply stores.
    Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil the syrup until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Mix the puree with the cool syrup, then stir in the "neutral" stabilizing powder, whisking for 5 minutes. (The stabilizing powder prevents ice crystals from forming and helps ensure a smooth textured gelato.) Chill the gelato base thoroughly then process it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spoon the gelato into containers and freeze until ready to serve.
    happy in the hut
  • Essex County
    Options
    This is novel! I did a search for the stabilizing powder and found some online sources but could substitute guar gum which I think I can get locally. Then I did a search on "fig gelato" and got this recipe that originally appeared in the LA Times. No mystery stabilizer. Thanks for getting me started down this road.
    Paul
  • Essex County
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. This reminded me that I have had pizza with fig, proscuitto and goat cheese. But your prep is kinda like a sweet and salty ABT! Thanks.
    Paul
  • Essex County
    Options
    This looks like a winner...and it will use up a LOT of figs. I feel like my window of opportunity is brief. They're all ripe now. Thanks.
    Paul
  • Zippylip
    Options
    The way it was explained on the episode I saw was the stablizer is sort of a substitute for the dairy. I was surprised when watching that no dairy was added to this recipe but the final product that they cranked out looked so amazingly good, like any gelato you would see in a gelateria, but it is essentially, by volume anyway, almost pure figs. As a side note, I want to plant a fig tree this fall if I can find one, I think figs are the best & most underutilized fruits out there - hopefully you'll post some pictures of the ultimate fate of your surplus
    happy in the hut
  • Essex County
    Options
    Thanks for this suggestion and the others you added below. Now I'm thinking of stuffing a pork loin with figs.
    Paul
  • Essex County
    Options
    My wife has always wanted a fig tree. But in Massachusetts, we'd have to wrap it in a thermal blanket every winter. Folks really do this but it looks like a pain. Along with our Virginia figs, we've brought back a couple of baby fig trees. They are now in pots on the deck. I'm hoping we can keep them in pots for a couple of years at least!
    Paul
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Google search a recipe for "Fig Gelato". I know one place that makes it in Philadelphia and it is to die for.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Growing up, my (elder) family members that had fig trees also wrapped them every winter in multiple heavy coats of plastic, I guess if you are anywhere but an almost tropical climate you have to do this, I am going to research this, I guess that will have some impact on where I plant it, but I will not be stopped, figs are too good
    happy in the hut
  • Essex County
    Options
    I've done this! Take a look at the diagonal thread just above your post. I've also gotten the ice cream maker out of the basement, cleaned it and put the liner in the freezer. The bummer is I've got to wait until tomorrow to make it.
    Paul
  • Zippylip
    Options
    NJ-GrEGG, I'll be in Center City tomorrow, where is this place, I would love to try it
    happy in the hut