I few weeks back I replaced my bottom gasket w/ a Rutland gasket. Trying to take short cuts only caused further delay than had I followed the instructions properly and taken the time to get the pumice stone and polishing disc first. After I finally got done, I was too tired and sweaty to remove the top gasket.
So today I figured it was time. Rather than take the time to do it properly (ie: remove the dome), I tried to scape it off while in place. Hard to do and next to impossible when you get between the hinges on the back. Ended up removing the dome after all. The whole process would have taken only fifteen minutes tops had I removed it to start with.
What I have learned: To properly do this procedure, take everything out of the egg first. Remove the dome and strip the old gasket off and clean it up w/ the 3M polishing wheel followed by pumice stone. Remove bottom gasket and clean surface w/ polishing wheel and pumice stone. Clean out the ash and debris from the egg. Install Rutland gasket according to instructions. Replace the dome. Replace firebox, ash grate, fire ring, and grid. Tip: If the hardware holding your dome is as rusty as mine, spray it first w/ PB Blaster before loosening the nut or you might just snap the bolt off.