Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low and slow leg quarters?

dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been trying to do slow cooked leg quarters and keep them juicy and taste the seasoning. I did it on 2 occasions but not the others. I done it with the plate setter, adj. rig direct, reg. grate direct etc.. I had the best success @ 270 or so and direct on the regular grid. Heres the question, when I do the same cook a second or third time it is not the same and I can't figure out why. I have used similar sized chicken same seasoning, same temps. pulled out at 185 (took the temp close to the bone in the thigh). I did get some good results, so is it possible to have the same dome temp but different airflow rates and in the end different cooks?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    IMHO yes,
    If you used a plate setter on one cook and direct on the other. You are basically smoking/baking one and grilling the other. Did you like the texture of the skin?

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I try to duplicate cooks all the time with temps and time the same but different results. After months of research the only thing I could find different were the amount of adult beverages (daddy pop) involved but that shouldn't affect my cook, right? :blush: :silly: :woohoo:
  • no I did not however when I switched to direct and slow I got a very good skin great taste ,but as I said it was a one shot deal. What does IMHO mean :ermm:
  • Daddy pop may be a factor but not the last couple of times unless I had more pop than I think :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    In My Honest/Humble Opinion. Take the best and work with it.
    Play around. I don't cook any chicken direct under 325. But, I haven't cooked just leg 1/4s for decades. Indirect at about 250, but that is crunchy wings.

Mike
  • On an earlier post I told you I do chicken at high temps. but the seasoning seems to be on the outside only. Low and slow seems to get more flavor into it, and so many people seem to do low and slow on the forum I just had to try. The results have been less than good.

Since I am from the weber world, low and slow is all new and obviously not my cup of tea yet.