Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon tonight

Options
ArchDeluxe
ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking salmon for the first time tonight and was looking for some quick and easy recipes. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Here's mine :

Grilled Salmon

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup brown sugar -- packed
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cloves garlic -- crushed

Salmon fillet -- skin on
    2 Tbs Butter (melted)
    2 Tbs Maple Syrup
    Dizzy Pig Raging River rub

Preparation Directions:

Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, oil and garlic and stir to mix.
    Place salmon in a ziplock bag and add marinade.
    Place in refrigerator and marinate 3-6 hours.
    Remove salmon from refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking and ‘pat” dry with paper towels.
    Mix together butter and maple syrup and brush over entire surface of salmon. Sprinkle with a liberal amount of Dizzy Pig's Raging River Rub.

Cooking Directions:

Big Green Egg set-up : raised grid, direct, dome temperature at 350-400 degrees.
    Place salmon on raised grid, close egg dome and cook 15-20 minutes, depending on
    thickness. It's best to 'undercook' to prevent drying out. Salmon is done when a knife inserted in the fillet slides in easily with no resistance,
    Remove salmon, brush on any remaining maple syrup-butter, and wrap in foil for 5-10 minutes before serving.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Arch,

Here's one I did that came out great. Pics and detailed writeup at:
    http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/06/recipe-smokey-s.html

This was based off of a recipe I found in the recipe section of the forum, and modified a bit to suit the ingredients I had on hand.

Smokey Salmon with Herb Paste

- Thick-cut salmon filet with skin on one side. Approximately ½ lb per person
    - 1 Tbs finely minced fresh oregano
    - 1 Tbs finely minced thyme
    - 1 finely minced shallot
    - 1.5 Tsp fresh lemon juice
    - 1 Tbs Yogurt
    - Kosher salt (to taste)
    - Black Pepper (to taste)
    - Garlic Powder (to taste)

Start by making the herb paste. Chop the herbs and shallot finely. Mix in a small bowl with lemon juice, yogurt, salt, pepper, and garlic. Apply this paste to the surface of the salmon. I put it on about 2 hours before cooking.

Cook direct at 300 degrees dome temp with some alder wood chips or chunks on the fire. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the fish is done. Use a spatula to remove. I didn't have a problem with it sticking, execpt for a bit of the skin, but you can oil the grill if you're concerned.

Enjoy!

-John