Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron's not 1 irons

Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kroger has Flat Iron for $4.99, is that good or going rate? The last Flat Iron I had was tougher than hitting a 1 iron, but I'm sure like the golf it was operator failure...............
Doug

Comments

• Paid $6.99/lb at a specialty mkt this weekend.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    here in norcal they normally run $7.99. marinate and don't overcook. good luck
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That is the sale price these days. Everyday price is $6.99.

On rare occasion they will be $3.99, and I stock up at that price.

For the money they are a good cut of meat. I use them in chili, fajitas, or just as a quick and easy steak dinner.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    There seem to be two different definitions of flat iron cuts. One is the whole shoulder top blade and the other is the two pieces that can be cut from the whole, leaving behind the piece of tough connective tissue. Any chance that the piece you had was the larger cut?

BTW, the University of Iowa claims credit for developing this cut a few years back. I thought it funny to see, as I was paging through an old cookbook by Julia Child and Jacques Pepin, that Jacques highly recommended, and showed photos of, that exact same cut. And it was published well before UI came up with it commercially.
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    I get them at Fred Meyer, same company and I have never had a tough one. I just cook them at 350* direct, raised grid and they turn out fine. I usually use a rub and sometimes marinate them in teriyaki.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    I have been in the food, meat business for 34 years. I am still amazed at the marketing of different cuts of meat. CW Mike has background in the grocery biz and I'll bet he would admit that they never thought ripping apart a chuck to get "Flat Iron" steaks. But you know I'm not here to debate what they have done, who'da thunk anyone would pay $7.99 for CHUCK meat.
    Thanks for the response. I think I'll pick up a couple at 4.99.
    Doug