Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for Eggfest

Options
BillB
BillB Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking at the Eggfest this coming weekend. I'd really like to prepare my pulled pork, but, of course, there is absolutely no way to cook pulled pork during the Eggfest. Could I presmoke the Boston Butts before the Eggfest and then bring them up to pulling' temps at Eggfest?[p]Bill

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BillB, I think it would be great. Although we may not believe it, there are people who have never seen pork pulled and some of them may be there Saturday. If you can cook one Friday night and bring it in Saturday wrapped up, it wouldn't take long to get it up to a reasonable temp and then show folks how to pull it. Whether they know how to pull or not, people will surely eat it. Just bring a sauce or two with you.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    BillB,
    I see that you live in Atlanta,so there would be no reason you could not start Fri sometime then place in a cooler wrapped in a towel Sat morning. Once you arrive at Eggfest, place it on an egg to finish. How long do you think this second part would take? I am getting hungry all ready.[p]Earl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BillB,
    MikeO has been bringing pulled pork to the DC Eggfest the past couple years. He lives about an hour away, and cooks his pork to completion, finishing just before he leaves, then wraps in a cooler and pulls it when he gets to the fest. It always goes quickly.[p]Good luck! you all are gonna have a blast. Wish I could make it.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BillB
    Options
    Wise One,[p]GASP![p]There are those that have never had pulled pork?!?!?!?!? You mean they've been surviving on the chopped or sliced versions? Those poor, lost, individuals. [p]Well, that settles it! It will be my solemn duty to lead them out of the wilderness to understand that the only proper way to prepare a Butt is to slow smoke it and pull it (3rd degree burns on the fingers and all!)[p]Of course, I'll also have to make sure they understand that eating a pulled pork sandwich without cole slaw can get your arrested in some parts of this country.... (: )> [p]Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BillB,
    That law applies to the county that we will be in for Eggtoberfest. Maybe you should make up a nice big batch on Friday and bring it also. [p]As if I were not hungry enough, I am really hungry now.[p]See you there,
    RhumAndJeerk[p]

• BillB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I'd love to be there on Friday, but I'm going to be watching over the egg (and it's precious contents) while a horde of crazed scrapbooking women invade my basement that evening.[p]BTW, any idea how many Pork shoulders will fit on a large egg? I picked up a two pack this evening (17+ lbs total) and wonder if I should plan on finishing them off at the same time or one after another.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BillB,
    Both will fit nicely in a large BGE.[p]BTW, just make the slaw on Friday and we can eat it on Saturday.[p]HEeeeeee,
    RhumAndJerk