Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The gasket saga continues

Options
EgginDawg
EgginDawg Posts: 747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went out this AM to inspect the damage from last nights "clean burn" and it is worse than I thought. The gasket did get fried. :( On top of that I put the daisy wheel inside the egg during the clean and boy did it clean....the paint off of it. :evil: Finally I decided to check the thermometer with the boiling water test and it is off at least 50 degrees.
I'll try to adjust the thermometer here later today. My question is since the daisy is made of cast iron I would need to repaint. Any suggestions on what kind of paint to get? Gonna buy a nomex gasket as well. Damn, just damn! :angry:

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Don't worry about paint burning off of the daisy wheel. I didn't even realize it was painted! I clean mine periodically in a very hot egg and it comes out nice and clean looking.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I'm feeling your pain Teddy. Hope you are able to get it all back to how you want it soon. Let me know if I can help.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    is it even painted to begin with?

mine spends the cool down time in the egg, and if it ever was painted, it sure isn't now. still, regular use and dry-storage in the egg keeps it rust free.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about painting it. As to keeping it rust free I just place mine in the egg during cooldown and leave it there until the next cook. I also pam PAM to keep by DO and other accessories from rusting so you might want to do that if you are not going to use the Egg for a week or so.
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Teddy,
    Go to any hardware store and get some black bbq high heat paint, that will do the job if you want to paint it. It will still burn off eventually though.
    Bon Appetit*. Willie
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    EgginDawg wrote:
    I decided to check the thermometer with the boiling water test and it is off at least 50 degrees.
    I'll try to adjust the thermometer here later today.

How often to you check the calibration on the thermometer?
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't think the daisy wheel is painted. I think it is cast iron and is seasoned. Even if it was painted I would now spray with PAM and heat in the oven and season the daisy wheel like you would season a pan.
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    Teddy....the daisy wheel is made out of cast iron and should not be painted, it should be seasoned with Crisco....if you will Google --- Lodge Cast Iron --- and click on care for instructions on seasoning cast iron....i use Crisco and wipe on a very thin layer, then wipe of any excess before you "bake" it....do it a couple times to put a thick and lasting coat of seasoning on it....I use a drill and wire brush to remove any rust before I begin....hope this helps....David
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm heading to the mothership for a new gasket. I wssn't sure the daisy was painted and now I know. Since I have some experience of seasoning my DO a few weeks ago doing the same for the daisy will be easy. I never really tested my thermometer before but since I burnt everything else up I thought I might as well. As I thought it was off by 50 degrees when doing the boiling water test. I recalibrated it and it tested @ 210- which is boiling point where I live. Great info- btw- on Naked Whiz site about doing this, including figuring boiling point where you live. Give it a try.
    Back in a bit............
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I usually check mine before an important cook. If I'm cooking for a gathering I'll check it. Also I will check it if I know it is off. If I go out to my egg after a week of not cooking and the thermo reads 140, and it's only 90 outside, I'll recalibrate. Think of it like you would your oven. If I'm using the egg like an oven then I'll make sure the thermo is correct. If I'm using the egg like a grill, it doesn't matter too much to me what the temp is.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Don't need to go all the way to the Whiz's shop when you can find it here.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=88

It in the drop down section of the cookbook tab.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Spray that "cooked" daisy wheel with a little Pam, and all will be well. I've cooked mine grey a couple times, and the Pam works like a charm.
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    I apologise for suggesting painting the daisy wheel.
    The season, method sounds like the thing to do, in fact I will do mine as it needs it.Bon Appetit*. Willie
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    Mine was almost white! I sprayed with Pam and it was almost like new again