Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid

Happy Hog
Happy Hog Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got two new cast iron grids. One for my small egg and one for my large.
Is there something special I need to do before using these and do I use them only for searing or use then for all cooks?

Thanks,
Happy Hog
In the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia B)

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i use mine for everything , i would wash it before first use and put it in the hot egg to dry immediatly..a little oil the first time or two but it will season itself as you use it, clean up is simple click the pic

th_minisausage015.jpg
  • Nice "cleaner" bill !!!!

Heed the advice above but also be mindful to not drop that ci grid - they can break if handled carelessly.

Sean
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    i just washed mine and started cooking, any seasoning you do to it will burn off during the first high temp sear. in regards to searing, you dont need to hit 750/800, 600/650 seams to work well with the heavy cast iron. i cook the burgers on the flat side and steaks on the pointy side. i leave it in all the time, if its not used frequently it will develope a rust haze, im not concerned with that, a little rust is probably good for you.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks Bill,
    I will take your advice.
    My dog died a little over a year ago because of the Chinese :angry: dog food that cause so much grief for so many pet owners. We thought we were feeding him one of the best foods available (Iams) but it was contaminated and after 3 months of doing everything we possible could we lost him. We loved him like he was one of our children.
    We have a cat now (not my choosing) they have a rough tongue maybe I can use him as a Brillo pad to help clean my cast iron

Thanks,
    Doug
    Happy Hog
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    You might keep a can of "Pam" or similar handy. At times, high temp cooks can burn off the seasoning. Just spray the grid down after using and let the grid reseason as the egg cools. I recommend taking the grid out to spray with "Pam", as the "Pam" can flash if sprayed into the egg. tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • johnvb
    johnvb Posts: 46
    As another dog owner, I'm sorry for your loss :(

I had read that the CI grids will cracked due to expansion, sure enough the first time I used mine...POP! Now it has two small cracks in it, but has not worsened since. I've read they can go for years like this.

Just a forewarning. Still love my CI grid, for steaks and burgers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    if it cracked on the circular portion near the center bar you can break off a few sections for adding chips, i found that very convenient, they usually crack there.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hey Hog

Where did you buy your small CI gride
  • gaboy

The dealer that I bought all of my Eggs from ordered both of my cast iron grids from Seasonal Distributors, Waldorf, Maryland
    http://www.seasonaldistributors.com/

you should be able to get it from the Mothership

http://www.biggreenegg.com

Happy Hog