Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared Thermometer

Options
ChefBrian
ChefBrian Posts: 172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody here use one with thier egg? I am wondering how it would work to get accurate temps at the grate? And the relation between inside and outside temps.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Outside, yes. Inside fire temp, yes. Grate, no. IR beam spreads to wide and will pick up the entire fire.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    and they are useless for cooking temps of food since they only measure the surface..

Great for making sure food is cold enough before the cook though..
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I have this one.
    It is an expensive tool that doesn't really give you any useful information with this application.

Dome temp: Is taken care of with the analog dome thermometer.

Grid temp: An infrared thermometer can’t read grid temp. It would read through the grid and give you the temp of the coal bed, averaged out over the sample area. For grid temp, place the temp probe of an analog thermometer (dome thermometer) or remote digital thermometer between the dome and base shell of the Egg as you close the dome.
    If you are cooking indirect, make sure the temp probe is shielded from direct heat by one of the plate setter’s legs.

Food temp: You cook to an internal temp. An infrared thermometer measures surface temp.

The only temp I can think of that an infrared thermometer could give you, that might be at all useful, would be the surface temp of a pizza stone.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    I agree with Michael. A lot of fun (I can tell you how hot my wife is ;) ) but only limited use with the egg. I check my pizza stone and it can be used for a cast iron pan or skillet if needed, but won't help much with the actual food.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Have to agree with first 2 replies. They are of limited use but do work well for certain things.

I like to do seared Sesame Seed Encrusted Tuna in a cast iron skillet to get the full surface sear on. For that the IR therm. tells be when the CI skillet is ripping hot. Takes those dewvils longer to get up to 500*F+ than you think but once they're there they hold a ton of heat.

I also do an odd egg dish cooked for a long time at 153*F. See: http://discovermagazine.com/2006/feb/cooking-for-eggheads/article_view?b_start:int=1&-C=

I use a baking thermometer in the port for this but also use the IR for spot checks since the old baking therm. is slow to respond to changes in temp. In this dish going over 165*F for even seconds ruins the texture of the egg whites.
  • Michael B
    Options
    Interesting read.
    So, what egg dish are you cooking at 153*?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    ChefBrian

I use a little grid thermometer (shaped like a hockey puck) I picked up at one of the BBQ shops for about $8, and it works like a champ. Did you already drop some bucks on an IR thermo?
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Michael B wrote:
    Interesting read.
    So, what egg dish are you cooking at 153*?

I do a dish where I put those 65*C (153*F) eggs on Prosciutto on slices of toasted that small cocktail loaf light rye.

Hard to describe in words but the whites are white but still very fluid, and the yolk is set but it's still translucent and pliable. I'd say it has the consistency and texture of something like a soft cheese. It looks like a translucent yellow rubber ball or marble. When done just right there's no trace of the hardening and opaque color.

And the taste???? :P If you start with good fresh eggs from a good source you will be egg heaven. The trick is to put something in the pan so they don't touch bottom and overcook and to stir very frequently.
  • Michael B
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try... Friday, I think.
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking. My main thought was if I could open the lid and get an accurate grid temp it could have been a useful gadget. I'm always looking for new toys.